Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
Hello all, I have a silkie hen who hatched 5 chicks on April 8th she raised them and stayed by their side until they were 9 weeks old then she went back to just being a sweet little hen she went broody again about 3 weeks ago however I do not want any more chicks this year so she has no eggs to hatch but I cannot get her to stay out of the coop and off the nest! additionally she has been gone so long meaning not out free ranging with everyone that now when she does come out for awhile she gets bullied including by her own kids how rude!! My thought is perhaps she has been out of the flock so long that they don't see her as part of the flock anymore? Has anyone found a way to break broodiness that works? I have tried the putting her feet in cold water and all the things nothing is working! I am concerned as we are finally getting summer weather here in WA state and I don't want her in the coop all day as its to warm I cant close off the coop because the other girls need to go lay during the day. The possible solution I came up with is to set up a separate run area in the shade where the others can see her but not hurt her this will keep her out of the coop and keep her safe from bullying and out of the heat. If I do this is it possible since they will see her each day she might get accepted into the flock again? Will this help stop the broodiness if she does not have a nest to sit on? I love this little girl she is just the sweetest hen but I want to help her do you think this will work? Any other ideas?? Thanks!!

Silkies are notorious brooders. That's why I bought 3 of them when I was starting my flock and wanted to brood naturally and not with heat lamps (after burning my first coop down).

I found the same situation. The Silkie would go broody, then get picked on by the others in the flock, even her children. (I agree, how cheeky of them!). I couldn't get it to stop as I had standards. The small size, the waddling, and that head crest just made them such odd balls. The Silkies are also so mild mannered (mine were).

So my hubby built a broody coop and pen for just the Silkies. They lived in that, going broody for me when I needed them (and no, I couldn't break them other than letting them have eggs to hatch). They saw the flock but never integrated with them. It kept them safe and free from being hawk bait (I lost my favorite Silkie to a hawk on free range).

So I'm sorry I don't have a good answer. I couldn't find one. I made a separate coop for my Silkies, which they absolutely loved. Eventually they'll get off the nest, again. I used mine twice a year setting very small batches (2 or 3 chicks hatched at a time). It kept me in a good supply of new layers and my Silkies busy.

Good luck.
LofMc

Hi!! We have a hen that is constantly broody a couple ways we deal with her is at first just as much as possible if you can pick her up off the nest and put her outside. Maybe away from the other chickens but still letting the others girls see her. then try reintroducing her. Try this for a few day but if that does not work you can always try chicken jail. :( We have had to do this a couple times but just putting the hen in a kennel with food and water and no where to lay down will work. We give her a roost, food and water. Leave her in there for 2-4 days then you can try to reintroduce her to the other girls. If she goes back to be broody after chicken jail get her out of the nesting box asap and put her back in jail for a few more days. Eventually this should work although I always do feel bacd for the girl

You don't mention trying broody jail. My usual blurb follows, but since she's been allowed to sit for so long, don't be surprised if she doesn't break easily. She may need to be caged for much longer than the 2 days noted below:

Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

You know, my Silkies are good at being broody. They get off the nest, eat, drink, dust bathe. They take really care of themselves, unlike some of my girls. And they are broody so often that breaking them would be a neverending battle. So I just let them, and every other night, I check them over to make sure they're not losing too much weight or have some other ailment. I sometimes trim their nails. If I think about it during the day, I'll take them off the nest, set them down far from the coop, and let them do their thing.

Any *other* bird gets broody jail as described by @rosemarythyme. Really tough broodies get put in broody jail in my bathroom.

Silkies are notorious brooders. That's why I bought 3 of them when I was starting my flock and wanted to brood naturally and not with heat lamps (after burning my first coop down).

I found the same situation. The Silkie would go broody, then get picked on by the others in the flock, even her children. (I agree, how cheeky of them!). I couldn't get it to stop as I had standards. The small size, the waddling, and that head crest just made them such odd balls. The Silkies are also so mild mannered (mine were).

So my hubby built a broody coop and pen for just the Silkies. They lived in that, going broody for me when I needed them (and no, I couldn't break them other than letting them have eggs to hatch). They saw the flock but never integrated with them. It kept them safe and free from being hawk bait (I lost my favorite Silkie to a hawk on free range).

So I'm sorry I don't have a good answer. I couldn't find one. I made a separate coop for my Silkies, which they absolutely loved. Eventually they'll get off the nest, again. I used mine twice a year setting very small batches (2 or 3 chicks hatched at a time). It kept me in a good supply of new layers and my Silkies busy.

Good luck.
LofMc
Thank you! I fiqured I wasn't alone I feel bad for her she is the sweetest and a good momma I just love her but I don't need any more chickens right now! Her batch of chicks this year 4 out of the 5 are boys!! What the heck luckily so far they get along fine but I will keep watch in case things take a turn. she is one of 2 that survived a group of silkie chicks I got last year I no longer get chicks from this local feed and Garden store. Like you I lost her sister to a hawk. since she was my only silkie I had her hatch some purchased silkie eggs this spring because well I just love silkies and wanted a few more so she wasn't the only little bird in a flock of big Ole hens! but darn this girl is determined to keep being a momma! Also as of this morning my Barred rock hen has decided she should be broody too! why did they wait until our weather finally got hot goodness! I am going to set up a broody coop and see if that works! if nothing else at least she will be out of the hot coop. Should I put her broody friend with her as well or would the barred pick on her? Thanks again for your help!!!!

You know, my Silkies are good at being broody. They get off the nest, eat, drink, dust bathe. They take really care of themselves, unlike some of my girls. And they are broody so often that breaking them would be a neverending battle. So I just let them, and every other night, I check them over to make sure they're not losing too much weight or have some other ailment. I sometimes trim their nails. If I think about it during the day, I'll take them off the nest, set them down far from the coop, and let them do their thing.

Any *other* bird gets broody jail as described by @rosemarythyme. Really tough broodies get put in broody jail in my bathroom.
this morning one of my Barred Rock hens decided she should be broody as well! I am going to move them to a Broody run where I can keep them cool because of course they are now doing this when our weather has finally got hot and it will be going from 80 to in the nineties in the next week and I don't want them cooking in the hot coop. My little silkie momma does seem to go broody a lot and she is a very good momma I have accepted I cannot break it and she does seem to be taking care of herself which is good (I worry about her!) I think I will add in what you mentioned and take her out far from the coop and let her forage as much as she will and keep an eye on her I just don't want her to get picked on. She is a feisty little bird and is happy to scrap with anyone who crosses her but this is an unwinnable battle as she is so much smaller then the other hens. Thanks for your advice I appreciate everyone's info! I always get great advice here

this morning one of my Barred Rock hens decided she should be broody as well! I am going to move them to a Broody run where I can keep them cool because of course they are now doing this when our weather has finally got hot and it will be going from 80 to in the nineties in the next week and I don't want them cooking in the hot coop. My little silkie momma does seem to go broody a lot and she is a very good momma I have accepted I cannot break it and she does seem to be taking care of herself which is good (I worry about her!) I think I will add in what you mentioned and take her out far from the coop and let her forage as much as she will and keep an eye on her I just don't want her to get picked on. She is a feisty little bird and is happy to scrap with anyone who crosses her but this is an unwinnable battle as she is so much smaller then the other hens. Thanks for your advice I appreciate everyone's info! I always get great advice here
My Silkies are feisty, too, but my big girls generally give them room. They are a lil crazy when they're broody. I think it's hilarious seeing big 7, 8, 9 lb birds run away from 1 lb Silkies.
🤣

You don't mention trying broody jail. My usual blurb follows, but since she's been allowed to sit for so long, don't be surprised if she doesn't break easily. She may need to be caged for much longer than the 2 days noted below:

Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
I am going to move her to an outdoor isolation pen today in the shade my biggest concern is the heat otherwise I would let her go but we have finally got summer temps and its currently in the 80's and will be moving up to the 90's in the next week. From what I am hearing from other silkie keepers you just cant break a silkie hen they are determined little mommas!! I am hoping maybe moving her to a broody pen where the other hens can see her might hopefully help reintegrate her into the flock Which is my biggest concern and I can at least keep her cool Thank you for your advice I appreciate all the help I can get!

My Silkies are feisty, too, but my big girls generally give them room. They are a lil crazy when they're broody. I think it's hilarious seeing big 7, 8, 9 lb birds run away from 1 lb Silkies.
🤣
LOL!! this little girl of mine has quite the attitude she's very human friendly but if you are a hen and you cross her look out! The older girls shrug her off and walk away but I have some 16 week old sex links that I raised this spring and one of them has decided to bully her along with her ungrateful children!! Silkies are so comical!

Back
Top Bottom