Thetomsfam

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Hi there, my second batch of eggs have all but hatched, except for one, a silkie egg. The first few (French black marans and barred rocks) hatched in succession in the wee hours of the 20th day.... 19.5/20th day. They pipped and zipped without any problems. I woke up to sweet little babies. Now it’s a day and a half later since the last hatched and I have one silkie egg still in the Bator... a brinsea mini advance 2. It has not pipped, it does wiggle when I Shine light on it... though not very much compared to how much it moved before. I did have to open the bator to get the other babies out after they dried, they were sending that silkie egg rolling. Should I candle it and see if I can pip the shell for it? It’s so hard to think that it might be suffocating in there. Is it normal for there to be such a wide gap between hatched?

Should I candle it and see if I can pip the shell for it? It’s so hard to think that it might be suffocating in there. Is it normal for there to be such a wide gap between hatched?
Candle, yes. See if it has internally pipped.

Pip it, NO. If it can't pip itself it likely won't be able to zip itself. Some embryo's just don't make it. Trying to help them make it could mean your helping the weak link invite parasites and disease to your flock.

Chicks can breath with the shell in tact once they internally pip... it has porous holes allowing oxygen in.

Sounds like your temp was a little off (high) if the others hatched early.

Keep your humidity super high why you wait on this one!

No there isn't often that long of wait between hatching IF the temperature throughout the bator was even. I rarely have any hatch successfully that much longer after the last hatch.. especially if they haven't even pipped yet.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom