Hen can’t lift neck after attacked by fox

Have you tried mixing her feed with some water to make a mash? If it's thick you can put little balls of it in her beak. Many birds like it made into mash. You can grind up pellets or crumbles in a food processor also to make it finer. There is also commercial baby bird food, many big box pet stores have it, that you can mix in water and give with a syringe as it's very fine consistency. Tubing is also a good option, until she's stronger. Not as difficult as it might sound.
Ham is usually pretty salty, so caution there.
Her neck likely is going to take some time and rest. There really isn't any way to rush healing, it takes as long as it takes.

Picked up the vitamins today, gave her one of each. I noticed that her comb isn’t as red today as it has been. She’s not showing as much interest in drinking as well, so I’ve been syringing that into her, however when I do she begins wheezing? I’m worried the water is going to her lungs. I believe her neck is just so sore when she tries to swallow anything. Got her to eat some mealworms earlier as it was something easy to place in her beak. Thinking of trying scrambled egg again tomorrow and mushed up layers pellets.

This is how to syringe fluids into a chicken without getting it into the airway at the back of the tongue. You will aim for the esophagus on the chicken's right side of their throat. It leads right into the crop.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Hi just an update, she’s had two lots of the tablets so far, ( due another tonight ) but she’s showing no interest in eating or drinking whatsoever. Can’t even get her to drink on her own anymore like she was at the start of last week, I’m now having to syringing water into her. Had to force feed her some scrambled egg last night and a small amount of porridge. Her poops are sooo stinky! There’s definitely a bit of improvement in her neck, she appears to have more control of it. What else should I be doing? She’s most definitely not getting enough water and food into her as she should be

At some point with a sick chicken, it will be necessary to tube feed due to the decline caused by dehydration and starvation. It can mean the difference between the patient surviving or dying.

You need to obtain the tubing kit. You can get one from a vet for a few dollars or order it here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J7PFV..._csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&tag=backy-20

I mix up a raw egg, a teaspoon of sugar, Poultry Nutri-drench, yogurt, and warm water to half a cup total. The tube is inserted as the diagram shows inserting the syringe.

Hi just an update, she’s had two lots of the tablets so far, ( due another tonight ) but she’s showing no interest in eating or drinking whatsoever. Can’t even get her to drink on her own anymore like she was at the start of last week, I’m now having to syringing water into her. Had to force feed her some scrambled egg last night and a small amount of porridge. Her poops are sooo stinky! There’s definitely a bit of improvement in her neck, she appears to have more control of it. What else should I be doing? She’s most definitely not getting enough water and food into her as she should be
You could start to tube feed her.

https://bitchinchickens.com/2022/05/16/gavage-tube-feeding-chickens/

At some point with a sick chicken, it will be necessary to tube feed due to the decline caused by dehydration and starvation. It can mean the difference between the patient surviving or dying.

You need to obtain the tubing kit. You can get one from a vet for a few dollars or order it here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J7PFV..._csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&tag=backy-20

I mix up a raw egg, a teaspoon of sugar, Poultry Nutri-drench, yogurt, and warm water to half a cup total. The tube is inserted as the diagram shows inserting the syringe.
Thank you, is there any videos you suggest I watch? I’d be really worried about doing this as I’ve never done it before

Back
Top Bottom