Hen is no longer walking, please help

povltrycvlt

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
Good Morning Flock!

Backstory:
My wife and I rescued 8 hens from a local farmer. All of the birds have been caged indoors for their whole lives and are now outdoors. I live in Pennsylvania and the weather is beginning to get colder. The bird in question was very vocal from day one but also lethargic. Constantly perching while all the other girls were wandering and scratching. We paid special attention to her, but her condition has been going downhill, so I figured I'd post for some assistance.

1) What type of bird , age and weight:
The bird seems to be a mix of a red sexlink and Easter egger. I'm assuming she is 3-4 years old and is quite small/light.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic. Puffed up/balled out. No longer using legs.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
1.5 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
We have one other bird who is exhibiting only the puffed up portion of symptoms.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No visible bleeding or injuries.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Honestly I have no clue.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Bird will eat her pellets and drinks water. We have been holding the bowls up to her face for feeding.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Feces are runny, but not straight diarrhea.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
We've used VetRX so far. We currently have liquid Corid on hand and would be willing to purchase anything needed.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? We'd want to treat completely ourselves if possible.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Bird is currently indoors, but lives in a draft free, well ventilated coop with pine shavings.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Attachments

• 20191014_173343.jpg
    20191014_173343.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 23
I'm in PA to, my chickens have started to fluff up, I think they are just cold since they have been doing this for weeks (ever since it started becoming cold) and they'll lay in the dirt in the sun and fluff up (not sleeping) has she laid an egg yet? Do you supply oyster shell for calcium? Do they get layer? I am not very experienced with this so hopefully you can answer my questions and someone experienced can help out. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

has she had these symptoms since you acquired them or did they start shortly after?

Has she laid an egg since she's been there with you?

Have you checked them for external parasites?

do you have a local vet that will do a fecal float test on a fresh sample?

Why did the chickens need rescuing?

Moving can be stressful to them, besides introducing them to new stuff they haven't been exposed to before.

I would recommend giving some nutri drench and some Vitamins.

Stress lowers their immune system and could have had something they were life time carriers of that reappeared.

Internal/external parasites can cause nutritional imbalances and anemia

Chickens hate change. I had one 6 months later still was separating herself after her best friend was killed , she was the exception moving was the best thing for her, she hadn't laid an egg since , moved with warning to the person and that did help her, last report is boy is she a laying machine.

Last edited:
has she laid an egg yet? Do you supply oyster shell for calcium? Do they get layer?

Thanks for your response!
She has not laid an egg to my knowledge, since I've had her. I was told she is no longer laying from the gentleman we got her from.

I do not provide oyster shells for calcium, but all eggs get fed back to our birds.

Currently feeding: Nutrena Nature Wise Hearty Hen

Thanks for your response!
She has not laid an egg to my knowledge, since I've had her. I was told she is no longer laying from the gentleman we got her from.

I do not provide oyster shells for calcium, but all eggs get fed back to our birds.

Currently feeding: Nutrena Nature Wise Hearty Hen
Sometimes people aren't honest, oyster shells are a good source of calcium for chickens, I would do what at @slordaz said.

has she had these symptoms since you acquired them or did they start shortly after?

Has she laid an egg since she's been there with you?

do you have a local vet that will do a fecal float test on a fresh sample?

Why did the chickens need rescuing?

Moving can be stressful to them, besides introducing them to new stuff they haven't been exposed to before.

I would recommend giving some nutri drench and some Vitamins.

Hey Slordaz!

No eggs have been laid since I've had her.

I do not have a local vet that I am aware of.

The birds were listed on Craigslist for free and were in terrible condition. I felt that they deserved a loving home as opposed to being eaten.

Thanks for responding!

Hey Slordaz!

No eggs have been laid since I've had her.

I do not have a local vet that I am aware of.

The birds were listed on Craigslist for free and were in terrible condition. I felt that they deserved a loving home as opposed to being eaten.

Thanks for responding!
Did you quarantine them? Sounds to me the owner got rid of them because of low egg production or they were sick especially if they were sick (of course I could be wrong), If you have any other chickens keep the ones you bought away from YOUR flock.

Back
Top Bottom