Hen layed egg in unfinished new coop LOL

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
My hubby is still working weekends on the new coop. Well, one day this past weekend, one of my RIR hens went in there & noticed the nest boxes. She got in there looking around, setting, then got out. Well, I put some leaves from the yard in there to make it more comfy & she got back in a few minutes later. It didn't even have the hinged lid/roof on it yet. The roosters were in there. Other hens went in there...all of them staring at her....LOL. She gave up & got out.

The next day, she went in there again! Hubby had finished the lid/roof. This little pullet that's been making a lot of noise like she's about to lay went & got in the next nest box next to her & was poking her head in the hens nest box & making sounds all curious like & looked at me like "No fair! I don't have any leaves!" Then looked back at the hen like "Hmmm....is that how you do that?". Then, the hen layed the egg, got down out of the nest box without making a sound. The pullet then gets in that nest box, turns & looks at the egg & starts making all kind of sounds like she's claiming that egg as hers! LOL The cheater!
wink.png

Anyway, I told hubby I guess the hen approves of the coop he's building because she can't even wait for it to get finished to lay an egg in it! She's taking claim to that coop or at least that nest box!

Here's a pic of the egg...sorry it's not very good it was with my cell phone.

IMG_8652.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom