Hen Laying 2 Eggs- Danger?

Quote:
I don't have experience with an older hen laying more than one egg a day, so I'm really not sure.

Greenfamilyfarms, I do find myself looking back at the '2 eggs per day' period in that hen's life. I did collect the same time each day, 2 hens, 3 eggs, for at least 2 weeks. I know the deal about it taking 24-26hrs to produce an egg, and I'm as baffled as you.
hu.gif

As for diet, I don't think it would hurt to provide her with some extra protein for a while; maybe some scrambled eggs, or meal worm.Maybe provide some oyster shells in case she needs extra calcium. I will say that I am not an expert in this area, so any suggestions are purely speculation on my part. I do hope your hen comes out of this healthy.

Thanks for your very helpful response, Kansaseq. Until it happens to you, personally, others think you are crazy when you talk about your hen laying 2 eggs per day. Others are jealous. LOL.

I just found another link in the 'Behaviors and Egglaying' section of this group that talks about the phenomena. I'm posting in all those threads to see how all of the chickens who laid daily multiple eggs ended up faring.

One person posted about how the multiple daily egg-laying phenomena is even discussed in Gail Dameroux's outstanding book called GUIDE TO RAISING CHICKENS, the new 2010 edition. I would highly recommend that book to anyone who wishes to learn all they can about chickens. It's the latest research, updated and thorough, not just a cursory coverage. :>)

Clare

Well i can't imagine it would be good for them to lay 2 eggs a day espiecally where your hens are older... Would it be possible to maybe cut down on light for a little while so her body has a break.
hmm.png
For now you might want to supply extra calcium so that an egg doesn't break in her. Good luck with your hen!
smile.png

I have only had chickens since Sept. but my RIR did display some odd egg patterns. About a month after she started laying I found a double yolker for 3 days straight, they were HUGE, really scared me that she would be hurt. Then she took a couple days break and for 2 days laid 2 eggs in one day twice, about 6 hours apart. She only did it twice, and it did scare me because she stayed in the nesting box for soooo long, but shes never done it again, and so far is fine! I think it just happens sometimes, even if its not suppose to. I hope your hen will be OK. luckily mine is! Good Luck!!

Silkieroo,

When you suggest cutting down on late, how do I go about that? Do you mean I shouldn't let her free-range outdoors so much?

Her coop has no electricity nor lighting of any kind in it. It gets light here from the sun coming up about 7 a.m., and the chicks like to go back into the coop for nighty-night about 8: 15 p.m. I let them decide on the hour. Otherwise, I can't get them in without scratch treats, and they are on a diet.

But do you mean it would be better if I kept them cooped up longer, maybe not letting them out until later in the day? The problem is, they can get into their run at any hour, and it does let in some light, although it has a roof, but the sides are chicken wire.

Thanks for this suggestion. I wonder how I can make it work for them?

Silkieroo,

I meant to type "cutting down on light," not "cutting down on late." Sorry for the typo.

Michie,

Thank you for the vote of confidence, and for sharing your interesting story with me.

Kimclan,

I love that reference you found! That is perfect, and so interesting to read. You are a fabulous researcher! Now I'll have something good and concrete to share when other's won't believe that a chicken can lay more than one egg per day.

Just now I found something interesting on Barred Rocks. My chickens are Plymouth Rocks. It said the Black Rocks tend to have a lot of vigor and are good shell-makers. From whatI've read, it's highly unusual for a chicken to lay solidly-shelled eggs, when she lays 2 eggs a day. Usually, when a chicken lays 2 eggs a day, one of them is soft-shelled. But my chickens' eggs have both had nice hard shells.

I was reading that Black Rocks (I assume that is what my Barred Rocks are? They are black and white?) tend to be really good outputters of calcium and good layers into old age. It said that their ability to make good, strong shells helps actually protect them from peritonitis more than other breeds, because they don't tend to lay the shell-less eggs internally that other breeds are prone to, so much. So now I feel a bit more hopeful as to Esther's prognosis.

Clare

Clare...my favorite part of that site was the picture and description of the the development of the yolks! I had no idea all that was going on. I WILL need to let go of that picture in my mind next time I eat eggs though!!
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for the compliment!
Kathy

What time do you generally let them out?? Do you have any way to block sunlight from getting into the coop?? My biggest concern would be that her poor little body is getting overworked.
hmm.png
Maybe someone else will chime in with a good idea... Come on people!!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom