Jay Elle Bee

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2019
Falls of Rough, Kentucky
Heya!
I'm Jess; I live in Indianapolis; and my mum's doing the backyard farm thing in Falls of Rough, Kentucky.
What?? You don't know where that is? No worries! The first time my dad drove me down here, I commented that it's about 20 minutes past all the good "murder you and chop up your body" places, so it's pretty stinking rural.
They're about 20 minutes from Litchfield and 2 hours south and west of Louisville.
I started the hatchlings at home early this summer, and we've lost probably 20-25 birds (chickies and ducklings) to predatation since.
Our current flock is 2 Pekins, 6 silkies, 2 RI Reds, and 2 White Bantam Brahmas. So, a pretty basic flock. (Our Polish was dispatched this weekend via raccoon. Rip Mozart.)
Presently, we're looking for a broody hen or two and to replenish our duck population with animals who are at least a few months old. Hens preferred.
If possible, I'd like to get into heritage breeds, endangered birds, etc, so any information you could provide would be most appreciated!
Thank you!!
Jess B

Hello, Jess, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Other than the raccoon, what is taking out so many birds?
I hate to cast an entire species into suspicion, but I really do think it's raccoons :barnie Mum (thankfully) decided to bed all of our birds in the commercial coop last night, and I saw THREE STINKING RACCOONS crawling around in the other pen. It was left open, so nbd, but ughhhhh!!
I offered to dispose of them, but mom just stood on the porch at 0100 and watched the little buggers.
I believe she interrupted an attack Monday morning. Our drake has significant head wounds but has survived thus far.
Maybe opossum?
I know they've had a fox jet off with one bird, but he was nearer the wooded area (150 meters away).
Any thoughts?
Daddy is a spendthrift, so we need to "prove" our concept without too much financial outlay - hence no motion lights.
We do have a scarecrow, but it's not proved to be of much worth.
Have you any suggestions?!?
I really appreciate all y'all's time and attention! My little heart is bubbling up with thankfulness. :thumbsup

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Jess, it's very nice to meet you. :frow
Hello Jess and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie
THANK YOU!!!! I'm a 18th century soul trapped in the 2019 :love

Have you any suggestions?!?

I've got suggestions but they require the financial commitment. But if something isn't done, they adorable little bandits are going to wipe out the rest of the flock in due time.
I have my flock contained within about a 1/4-1/3 acre pen enclosed with 4' high poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. And for additional night time and winter security, I have an attached run with a solid roof that is enclosed with 1/2" hardware cloth and a no dig predator apron. That all costs money. But I sleep like a baby.

Back
Top Bottom