Heya!!!!

Thechickiebutts

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2024
Hey, guys! Not so new to chickens as I have raised them since I was 12. Yes. Actively raised them. Named them, fed them, etc. In the past I had Rhode Island Reds and the black and white chickens( forgot breed), as well as guinea fowl. Now one of the issues I seem to be having is we got some new chickens and this is a breed I've never dealt with before so, I'm definitely back in the novice seat. 😅
We got four chickens from Tractor supply and went with the Rhode Island Stride whites. Now this has made it very difficult for me to figure out who is who. 😮‍💨 As any chicken owners know all things rooster can apply to hens. Lol. So now I am in a dilemma because it would seem we have a rare breed and I would like to see their numbers increase. My concern is I cannot tell who is who and my son(4 year old autistic) and German shepherd (wants to make everything her baby) my have accidentally killed it when we first got them. He snuck out of bed and tried to take one to his bed. He learned a hard lesson that comes with farm life and hasn't messed with them since. Now it's just a matter of finding out if I need to go get a rooster or not. I tried to get a better picture but Wreckit Ralph, as we are calling it, wouldn't have it. The one I believe to be a rooster is the largest of my little flock. But it's so hard to tell.

Attachments

• IMG_20240426_114421735.jpg
    IMG_20240426_114421735.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20240426_114410327.jpg
    IMG_20240426_114410327.jpg
    987.8 KB · Views: 6
:welcome:welcome:welcome

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! How old is your chicken? It looks like a pullet to me. Sorry for your loss. :hugs Please encourage your son to come back around the chickens and show him how to handle them properly (having him feed them mealworms would be good). You don't want him to be forever afraid to go near them or to despise them later. They might be a good therapy tool for him.

Back
Top Bottom