Hi from Alberta, Canada.

LMHARRIS2000

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
I moved the family to an acreage in the fall of 2020. We are a mega family of 14, with "only" 9 of the kids living at home. Both my husband and I are home full time. We are homeschooling and building.our dream.

My initial flock of chickens was 40 or so old hens from a local lady who sells eggs. Since then I have taken cast-off birds from others. A few roosters here. A hen found wandering the backroads. A friend decided she didn't want chickens and did I want them. And then this year I hatched out about 20 of our own eggs. So I would guess I have about 100 birds but maybe less.

I'm new to chickens. I just have these birds that give me eggs and I make sure they have food and water. Some of my birds are pretty beat up and could use some TLC.

I have a mishmash of breeds but primarily Rhode Islands. Ive been told that some of my breeds are expensive or special but everyone lives together and I dunno who is who.

I love having the free range birds meet me for their grain. On my way to the goat pen, I sprinkle the chicken feed for them to scratch and get. They love to hear my wagon and come running. I love not having to go to the store for eggs. I love sharing eggs with my older kids. I love that the birds keep the insect population under wraps.

My other main interests are reading, raising goats and rabbits, and managing our family life.

I joined because I don't like Facebook. I need to know more about these birds I have so I can care for them better. I was looking for a community to support that learning. And maybe I know something that will help someone else too.

I moved the family to an acreage in the fall of 2020. We are a mega family of 14, with "only" 9 of the kids living at home. Both my husband and I are home full time. We are homeschooling and building.our dream.

My initial flock of chickens was 40 or so old hens from a local lady who sells eggs. Since then I have taken cast-off birds from others. A few roosters here. A hen found wandering the backroads. A friend decided she didn't want chickens and did I want them. And then this year I hatched out about 20 of our own eggs. So I would guess I have about 100 birds but maybe less.

I'm new to chickens. I just have these birds that give me eggs and I make sure they have food and water. Some of my birds are pretty beat up and could use some TLC.

I have a mishmash of breeds but primarily Rhode Islands. Ive been told that some of my breeds are expensive or special but everyone lives together and I dunno who is who.

I love having the free range birds meet me for their grain. On my way to the goat pen, I sprinkle the chicken feed for them to scratch and get. They love to hear my wagon and come running. I love not having to go to the store for eggs. I love sharing eggs with my older kids. I love that the birds keep the insect population under wraps.

My other main interests are reading, raising goats and rabbits, and managing our family life.

I joined because I don't like Facebook. I need to know more about these birds I have so I can care for them better. I was looking for a community to support that learning. And maybe I know something that will help someone else too.
Welcome to BYC!! ❤️
And hello from a family of 12! :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Very nice introduction! This place is WAY better than Facebook, I think you will enjoy it here.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community!
⬆️ This was almost exactly what I was going to say after reading your introduction.

Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Back
Top Bottom