Hi There - Newbie Here

ChrisaH

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2018
Door County, Wisconsin
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am new! I have wanted to raise chickens for years, and I've been reading about it for about six months. I finally bit the bullet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have four chicks and I've had them for about 18 hours!

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have four Sapphire Gems...which isn't really a breed.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

My dad was so excited I got chickens he sent me the link!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I create all my own greeting cards. I garden outdoors, both ornamental and veggies and fruit. I love all types of boating.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live in Northeast Wisconsin with my husband and two of our three adult kids. My two still at home have some special needs but are doing well and making plans to move out! We have four rescue dogs, all different breeds. I do marketing for a small manufacturing company in Green Bay.

Welcome Wagon.gif
Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

Your Dad needs to get come chickens too!

Will your saphires lay blue eggs?

They should be a cross between a leghorn and a Cream Legbar. They usually lay blue eggs and sometimes white

http://chickenfanatics.com/breed-of-the-week-sapphire/
Really? This is what I read on Hoover's Hatchery:

This brand new sex-link chicken will amaze you with it's blue and lavender colored plumage. This Czech breed is an excellent egg layer and great forager. It does well in hot climates and is a breed very close to the Old Andalusians. This bird is a specialty hybrid that was created by a breeder in the Czech Republic. Approx. 290 Large Eggs/Year | Egg Color: Brown | Mature Wt: Male 5 lbs. Female 4 lbs.

Really? This is what I read on Hoover's Hatchery:

This brand new sex-link chicken will amaze you with it's blue and lavender colored plumage. This Czech breed is an excellent egg layer and great forager. It does well in hot climates and is a breed very close to the Old Andalusians. This bird is a specialty hybrid that was created by a breeder in the Czech Republic. Approx. 290 Large Eggs/Year | Egg Color: Brown | Mature Wt: Male 5 lbs. Female 4 lbs.
Someone else is making them now with different parent breeds.

Sex-link chickens are a hybrid cross and not a breed--like golden comets, black stars and red stars. You can find breeders here in the Buy sell trade forum that sell the sapphires that lay blue eggs

Back
Top Bottom