RosyChickens

Chirping
Mar 19, 2021
I have free range chickens - should I be concerned about heat? it's 90 and even a bit over 100 here in Oregon lately. Being free range they have access to shade and my gardens are sprinkled and they seem to like that damp dirt.
They are panting and have here wings out - but how can I tell if they are TOO hot?
Is there anything else I should do for them? Wading pools, fans or ice somewhere?
Do electrolytes in the water help?
I have ayam cemani, golden sex link, cochin bantam, polish crested and wyattendottes.

its just so hard to watch them panting 😢

Panting and keeping the wings out is a way for them to cool themselves.
If they have access to good shade, damp gardens, etc., then I would be inclined to leave them alone.

Do provide cool water where it's shaded. You can provide electrolytes in 1 water dish but always make fresh plain water available as well.

The ability to dig into the cool earth is, IMO, a major factor in my chickens' ability to tolerate the climate here in the Steamy Southeast.

I make a point of not doing things that will cause them to be too active in the hot part of the day -- not even bringing treats. I gather eggs very softly and with minimal fuss when I see them dug in.

On @aart's advice I do the electrolytes once a week (with plain water available too -- you like a Gatorade if you're working outside in the heat, but you wouldn't want to have nothing but Gatorade, right?). I haven't had any heat issues in my flock so far even though Brahmas and Wyandottes aren't supposed to be great hot-weather breeds.

Back
Top Bottom