How cold is too cold to let my girls into the run?

pmpkinchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Burlington CT
Hello, I am new to chickens and have 7 EE chickens about 12 weeks old. They love being in the run but weather in CT is rainy and cool. I don't know if I should let them out or not. They keep going to the door because they want to go out. I don't want to lose any or have them get sick, any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Personally, I wouldn't let them out if it's rainy, and there's no roof on the chicken run. Hot and rainy is ok, but cold and rainy, not a good idea with the younger chickens. :) Hopefully they have a pretty big coop and room to play there.....

Just my humble opinion.

That's what I thought too. They have a covered are but its really wet out there today. I think I might go hang some treats. They have plenty of space to play but almost seem "depressed" that they can't go out. They keep looking at me then the window/door, I'm such a sucker its pathetic. Thank you for your quick response!!!

I'm in the rainy PNW and always let my birds decide when to go out. They have free choice between the coop and the run. You'd be surprised how often they prefer to be out in the rain! Unless it's a real hard downpour, the bird's skin doesn't actually get wet, just the feathers. They dry quickly. Plus, the rain brings up all sorts of worms for them to eat, they love that! I'd open the door and let them chose for themselves to go out or not. They're not little tiny babies, they can handle getting wet as long as it's above freezing.

I'm in the rainy PNW and always let my birds decide when to go out. They have free choice between the coop and the run. You'd be surprised how often they prefer to be out in the rain! Unless it's a real hard downpour, the bird's skin doesn't actually get wet, just the feathers. They dry quickly. Plus, the rain brings up all sorts of worms for them to eat, they love that! I'd open the door and let them chose for themselves to go out or not. They're not little tiny babies, they can handle getting wet as long as it's above freezing.
Ditto ^^^

Thanks, its a little warmer today so I figured I would see what they did. As soon as I opened the door they jumped right out. I suppose they can go back in if they want to. My concern is I have 2 that are a little gimpy and have to be carried out. They won't jump up to get in or out. But I'm home today so I will just keep an eye on them.

Thanks, its a little warmer today so I figured I would see what they did. As soon as I opened the door they jumped right out. I suppose they can go back in if they want to. My concern is I have 2 that are a little gimpy and have to be carried out. They won't jump up to get in or out. But I'm home today so I will just keep an eye on them.
Provide another 'step' (cinder block, stump, log) for them to access the ramp...or whatever you've got?

Back
Top Bottom