How cold is too cold to let my girls into the run?

I live in one of the coldest parts of Colorado, -30* is common in the winter, my coop is NOT heated, and I have never lost a chicken. They decide when to come out, I always open the run up and the choose to free range in snow, rain or wind. If it is too cold or wet, they decide if they want out or not. They love it after a rain, the other poster is correct, it brings up all the worms and bugs, they are in chicken heaven!

I wouldn't let the girls out if its cold & windy & rainy. It's just asking for trouble. Keep them somewhere warm & dry until it warms up. Hang up some greens as a treat to keep them entertained (broccoli is great).

I wouldn't let the girls out if its cold & windy & rainy. It's just asking for trouble. Keep them somewhere warm & dry until it warms up. Hang up some greens as a treat to keep them entertained (broccoli is great).

LOL. I'm in Western Washington State. If we didn't let our chickens out when it's cold, windy or rainy they'd be stuck in the coop for nine months straight.

LOL. I'm in Western Washington State. If we didn't let our chickens out when it's cold, windy or rainy they'd be stuck in the coop for nine months straight.

Yep! The key is to let THEM make the decision of going out or staying in. We chicken owners have NO IDEA how warm they are, we have never had a feather coat growing out of our skin. They may not be the smartest inhabitants in the animal kingdom but they know enough to go where they are not uncomfortable if they can. Mine choose to stay out of the mid day sun. They hang under bushes (now that they have leafed out) or back in the barn or on the north side of a building in the shade.

Even on the coldest days in the dead of winter, -20F, they stay out of the coop in the indoor run except to eat or lay. They are all puffed up and might be standing on one leg or may have made a 'day nest' in the shavings on the floor, but they don't look uncomfortable and aren't huddling with others. It's the only time my Cubalaya girls look like full size chickens
big_smile.png

This was my question as well, so thanks peeps! It's 46° here in Billings, so I was thinking if I let them out, should I keep their heat lamp on in the hen house? They're going on 6 weeks old.

This was my question as well, so thanks peeps! It's 46° here in Billings, so I was thinking if I let them out, should I keep their heat lamp on in the hen house? They're going on 6 weeks old.
Normally 46 degrees won't matter for 6 weeks old chicks. But coming out of a brooder if they had a heat lamp, I would say start with a heat lamp and progressively reduce the hrs from 10, 8, 6, 4, 4 over the course of a week. I know the 4 hrs are hard to manage but I would cut them off at one week and let them handle the rest.

Going from 75 degrees in the brooder to 46 degrees is a drastic change especially since they are not used to. What I did with my chicks was the cut their heat lamp while they were in the brooder for a week before putting them out so they went form 65 degrees to 55 degrees. That is another way of doing it.

I'm just south of you in Cowley, Wy. Mine have been out since April 1st (remember the weather then?) when they were 5.5 weeks old, no heat, and they're thriving! They're tougher critters than we give them credit for.

Here are a couple fun shots of my girls in sub zero weather in Colorado...

my little silkie/cochin mix...all puffed up!

and one of my Australorps.....staying warm!

Back
Top Bottom