How do I kill ants in and around chicken coop?

I too am in Florida and we have multiple types of ants. With the heat and humidity spiking the week the ants are coming out from the woodwork. I have found that FIS grade DE helps. It does not kill them but is will move them elsewhere. Except for using poison you do not kill the colonies altogether you just make is unpleasant to stay so they will move to another area if your yard. It works for me. Also we had fire ants in SC when we raised chickens previously and we saw our chickens eating them ao they are a deterrent themselves . As far as feed, you must put them it in a container. We prefer metal as we found the rodent will it chew through like with plastic and did not have bug issues either as we used bungee cords to keep them sealed. I expect it will work in Florida as well.

Cornmeal and sugar in equal amounts. Just enough water to moisten. They love the sugar, but the corn kills them. They will bring it back to the nest so everyone can enjoy it.
I thought cornmeal too but actually if you add boric acid to the mix you can kill the ant who ate it and some others but once again it enough would have the colony move along.

I too am in Florida and we have multiple types of ants. With the heat and humidity spiking the week the ants are coming out from the woodwork. I have found that FIS grade DE helps. It does not kill them but is will move them elsewhere. Except for using poison you do not kill the colonies altogether you just make is unpleasant to stay so they will move to another area if your yard. It works for me. Also we had fire ants in SC when we raised chickens previously and we saw our chickens eating them ao they are a deterrent themselves . As far as feed, you must put them it in a container. We prefer metal as we found the rodent will it chew through like with plastic and did not have bug issues either as we used bungee cords to keep them sealed. I expect it will work in Florida as well.
Yes, have multiple types of ants as well, however, only the red ants have made their way into the run. The DE doesn't phase them as I have it around the outside of the run to create a barrier of sorts. Obviously if they've crawled through it, it doesn't bother them.
My hens seem to have no intrest in the ants at all.
All my feed supplies are kept indoors in our Florida room. I have no issues with pests in the food. With that said, they have a feeder bucket in the run. It has caps for overnight but, if the ants find it, well then I have a bigger problem.
I've read more about the Martin's ingredients. Apparently my concern is unwarranted. It's the same ingredient used in flea collars and some flea meds.
I'm going to order some and give it a go.
I'm going to try the cornmeal and sugar on the ant hills as well.
Thanks everyone for the input.

I have never used DE as a barrier. I place directly on the hills and as long as it does not rain immediately afterwards I have found the ants move away. They like to hang by my stepping stones so I use it there and around my raised beds.

I've not had ants in the coop, so I can't say this is chicken safe, but I use baby powder on my front steps and dry garden areas where ants have been a bother for years! I had to run from the mailbox at one stage, so each day I took the powder with me and covered the ground. I haven't had ants there for years now.

I've not had ants in the coop, so I can't say this is chicken safe, but I use baby powder on my front steps and dry garden areas where ants have been a bother for years! I had to run from the mailbox at one stage, so each day I took the powder with me and covered the ground. I haven't had ants there for years now.
I've made a mix of boiling cloves and leaving to simer then cooling down and straining. Then i got a spray bottle adding a few drops of peppermint and cinnamon oil, bicarbonate soda and white vinegar. Then poured the cooled strained clove water on top of my oils mix. After spraying that around they seemed to have moved on.

My old girl eats ants

Back
Top Bottom