How to snap broody hen out of it

PulletSurpriseWinner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, all:

We were going to graft some day-old peeps to our VERY BROODY silkie hen today. Unfortunately, they all arrived dead. For some reason, someone saw fit to ship our babies from Connecticut to Ohio (in the blazing heat), and THEN to us in New Hampshire. The kind, sympathetic lady at the PO says that all packages must ride in back of the truck and the heat probably killed them. She seemed as upset as I was!

Anyhow, I think McNugget has waited long enough and lost enough weight. I've taken the training eggs and tried putting her off the nest, she just keeps going back. I don't want to immerse her in cold water; is there any other method to snap her out of it that would be safe for her? It's been several weeks and I don't feel right waiting for her to give up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

PulletSurpriseWinner

If you have a wire cage or wire doge crate you can put her in that. Set it off of the ground or other solid surface. I used a wire dog crate. Because the openings were large after removing the pan from the bottom, I zip tied hardware cloth the bottom. I put the crate on top of two saw horses. Kennel cups attached to the sides held food and water. It took about three days to break up my Barred Rock. I believe the longer a hen has been broody the longer it can take to break the cycle and get her back to laying. The raised crate with an open bottom allows cooling and gives her no place to get comfy. I took my broody out of the crate the day after she stopped puffing up and making those clucky mama noises.

Last edited:
Silkies spend 90% of their lives broody, the ones I had a few years back couldn't be broken of being broody, cold water, wire cages nothing worked, you just have to let her phase out of it or find a local feed store that sells day old chicks?

Thanks guys,

I'll try the crate. We love her very much and I just want her to start eating and drinking normally. She will only nourish herself when she's lifted off the nest and placed directly by the feeders. She dusts only occasionally, and that briefly. Then she goes right back! We don't want her to waste away, especially for no reason.

Thanks again,

PulletSurpriseWinner

She won't waste away, she'll just eventually give up on it in her own time. A setting hen doesn't need to eat or drink much. Hens are tough and they don't undertake anything they can't handle. I feel your pain though--it's frustrating to watch them sitting through it all for nothing...

Back
Top Bottom