Quailberries

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Southern WI
Ok, where to start...

My family recently decided to get backyard chickens, and got out first flock of four pullets on March 30th. It has been not even 2 weeks and we are now down to two... kind of.

Our EE chick was quickly found to have a really horrible cross beak, and thanks to the help of a few of you we decided that culling her would be best for her, as the deformity was so severe that we would be able to do very little about it. We did not want her to suffer.

Today, we ran into a problem with our “mystery chick”. She was given to us as a Light Brahma Pullet, but after the third day we realized she was much more likely to be a Leghorn, and while it was an annoyance we stuck with that and weren’t too concerned with care.

She grew rapidly and was twice, if not three times the size of the other chicks. We passed this off as just an unnatural growth spurt at first, but now we have no choice but to reindentify her as a Cornish Cross Broiler- and maybe possibly a rooster.

We haven’t culled her yet. In fact, we’re probably going to give her to a local broiler farm if the option is available to us, but we certainly won’t be keeping her. We are not permitted to raise chickens for meat and have no reason to keep her in our flock due to their lack of worth as egg layers.

All we have left is a SLW and a RIR- and they seem to be doing fantastic. That being said, it has been very discouraging for our family to lose chicks for reasons not in our control. We’re planning to get two new chicks asap, as we’ve heard that they tend not to do well in groups of 2-3. Different hatchery and feed store, obviously.

I guess my question is... are we having bad luck or is this just normal? With half of our original flock not being able to make it, we’re feeling really discouraged. The chicks we still have are sacred to us, though, and we’re going to put 110% effort into raising the new babies right along with them. Any tips for integrating? We were planing on just separating the brooder out via hardware cloth for the first week or so until the newborns were strong enough to not we trampled by the 2-weekers, but if someone has another idea/tips were completely open to hear it. Thanks.

I have no tips on the intergration of chicks but I can assure you that sometimes chickens just die or need to be culled. I raise RIR chickens for eggs and have 24 hens and 3 roosters. When I first got my chicks I had 30 hens and 5 roosters. I got that number because I expected some to die. It’s a normal thing to lose a few. In smaller flocks it can be overwhelming to some. I ordered directly from a hatchery because I’m lucky enough to live in the country.

I almost want to call it first timer's bad luck. My first batch of chicks, we started with 3. One was a male (10% chance!) so we culled him. Got another chick, she got her foot stuck in a gap in the coop and killed herself in panic. So we got 2 more chicks, figuring at least 1 had to survive... and both of those survived to adulthood (but then 1 got taken down by a hawk :().

I hope you have better luck with additional chicks. I wouldn't buy from the original store again, not if they can't properly label and keep separate the chicks they sell.

We live on a farm, and having a lot of livestock including chickens I'll tell you that you can expect death. It's hard for me to deal with sometimes when the numbers of loss are high or a special animal dies, but if you have animals expect that you will live longer than they will...

One exception is a parrot or tortoise. I like being able to live longer than my animals :lau

It's pretty normal. I usually count on 25% roosters (even with sexed chicks, if they're not auto-sexing breeds, roos are to be expected) and I assume some chicks will die before adulthood. I factor in extras when I get the chicks. Also, I try not to have a favorite chicken because it's always my favorite that dies. (And I always fail at not having a favorite.)

We got six wyandottes first and one died. She seemed less hardy than the others. Because i wanted 10 hens we got six more chicks and they are going great guns. Si 11 out of 12 of our first chicks all seem to be hens. We must be chicken geniuses, right? I don't think so though. I think there's a huge amount of luck to it. We're fortunate to have gained a lot of knowledge but that alone doesn't raise chicks. I think you've had some bad luck which is a shame because you sound like a great c aring person.

Back
Top Bottom