I AM A NEW MEMBER ...AND I AM ADDICTED!!!

#1California Chick

Songster
11 Years
Dec 5, 2008
SF Bay Area
I live on the San Francisco (California) Peninsula and have been fantasizing about getting chickens for several months.
cool.png

At first my DH told me that I was completely crazy!! We now are (sort of) having conversations about where a coop/run might go, construction options, etc.
big_smile.png

I would like to get 4 to 6 chicks (no Roos!!)-just a small flock!! My youngst daughter just moved out -- I guess I need something to take up all of my time!!
lol.png

I have already learned A LOT by hanging out on this site. Everyone here is a WONDERFUL RESOURCE for newbies!!

It is like having a close friend or a next door neighbor to tell you what to do!! Totally Cool!!

Cindy

Hey, your right next to me!
big_smile.png
Welcome
frow.gif
You should prepare to end up with a rooster though, find someone who can take him now because it is not easy. You will fall in love with the little buggers so quickly. One other peice of advice, handle them ALL of the time, because they will untame very quickly and that is no fun at all. We have 6 big girls that suddenly stopped letting us even touch them because we didn't handle them daily and now scream bloody murder when they are picked up. But they run to us when we come out and they beg for treats. They aren't scared of us, just don't want to be handled. We have 10 more babies now and I handle them all day every day for the first 4 weeks of their life and they followed me around just like a mama hen
big_smile.png
They even jump all over me when I come to say hello. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
Oh, sweetie, we know how it is, you start out doing your homework...got to find the perfect breed, then there is the design of the perfect little coop and you think you will be happy with with only 4-6 hens. You will spend countless hours watching those hens. Lawn chairs by the coop are in all our pictures. It starts that way. And you know, it might stop there.....but more than likely..well, I'm not going to spoil how the twist of the story will likely end. Just remember that we are here for you and we LOVE pics and we will be waiting on the pic of the roo, the incubator, the ADDITION to the coop and ohhh when you hatch out your own babies.....yeah, 4-6 hens (hehe) right. WELCOME!!!
big_smile.png

Welcome!
Make your coop expandable
smile.png

I understand the empty nest syndrome. My youngest is away at college and all of a sudden I have a farm in my back yard!

Welcome to the addiction.... now the question is... what kind of chickens will such you in first?!
big_smile.png

I am overrun with silkies... its all I wanted and I haven't changed my mind. I would be proud to have a yard full of the little fluffy butts.
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom