I AM A NEW MEMBER ...AND I AM ADDICTED!!!

welcome-byc.gif

I know its verrry addicting!! Now Im looking for even more breeds that I want to add to my flock and I already have 5 different breeds and 18 chickens all together. I can't get rid of the roo's impossible!

Welcome from the East SF Bay! I've had chickens for about 4 months and find that they are terrific pets. I thought that 6 would be a good number for us, but we're up to 21 now. They definitely are addictive, and would definitely help to fill an empty nest.

Also, we only got 1 roo in our flock, so the odds of unintended roos aren't all that high. He's still young and not yet crowing and we hope to keep him. I understand that there is a place in Santa Cruz that will take in roosters if you do get one that you can't keep.

Last edited:
Fractal Farmer

That is good to know that there is someone close by who will take Roos. I am going to TRY to get hens -- but I will get back to you if I get a Roo!!

Thanks!!

Cindy

Quote:
big_smile.png
Just dont let your little girls start hatching any of their eggs, and that may stay true! Its when you start hatching those adorable chicks (Yeah, I have a Genesis 1588 incubator and LG incubator for a hatcher) that you start making those "extra" roosters! I have 17 Beautiful Boys right now, and the sound in the morning is glorious to me...I've never asked my neighbors
big_smile.png
. Tina/tfpets Dont worry, you will be fully enabled through all stages of your addiction here on BYC, you are never alone! I wasnt.

Last edited:
I was looking into the farm in Santa Cruz, and discovered that the owner's home was just destroyed in a fire. I am so sad! http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_11175136

I don't know anything more about her operation other than what I read on the website, but I'll post that here for reference. Not sure how many roos she is able to take, but she sounds like a wonderful person. http://www.blackhenfarm.com/index.html

Quote:
big_smile.png
Just dont let your little girls start hatching any of their eggs, and that may stay true! Its when you start hatching those adorable chicks (Yeah, I have a Genesis 1588 incubator and LG incubator for a hatcher) that you start making those "extra" roosters! I have 17 Beautiful Boys right now, and the sound in the morning is glorious to me...I've never asked my neighbors
big_smile.png
. Tina/tfpets Dont worry, you will be fully enabled through all stages of your addiction here on BYC, you are never alone! I wasnt.

I'm doomed, aren't I? Problem is just with this one neighbor, who already complains about our dogs and the noise from our pool filter
smack.gif
. I've planted bamboo and jasmine vines to try and block sight, smell, and (hopefully) sound from the fence on his side
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom