I have a sick chicken and need some help!

collinski

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Can someone help me?!! I have a 4 -5 month old Rhode Island Red that is acting very sick. She lays around and sleeps a lot, but then sometimes gets up and tries to act normal. She has been laying on her side with her tail raised up and one wing spread out. I went and got some Duramycin-10 and put it in the water where all the girls are drinking from. If you've read my posts, I'm new to this and got 2 RIR's and 2 Black Copper Marans about 4 weeks ago, then added two new mixed breed pullets about a week ago. I guess I shouldn't have put them all together, but we did and they are tolerating each other pretty good. The only one acting sick is the one RIR. I was told by the lady I got her from that I should get the Duramycin and probably let all the birds drink it for a week or so. I hope I'm doing the right thing! I put 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. All the hens are 3 to 5 months old and none are laying yet.
Thanks for any suggestions. Could she have a blockage? Earlier today, I saw her catch a grasshopper and eat it, so she is still eating.

Could she be egg bound? Have you seen her stool?

There is a section on here for emergency help. I would try there for other thoughts faster than the welcoem section might get read! Good Luck!

WELCOME!!!!

I had one that was doing that too and I went to the feed store and bought that feed that has antibiotics in it and with in a few days she was back to her old self so it must have worked. All my girls are laying now and they are free range so no antibiotics in my eggs, but I used that feed for a couple weeks and i havent had any more issues. Good Luck
smile.png

This was posted on your original post.....

ChooksChick wrote:
Is she doing this in the open, like in a sunny patch? It sounds like sunbathing. The birds do that to kill parasites and as an act of hygiene, and it looks like they're in distress. We often see it in the heat of the day, and they lay there stretched and panting as if they're in horrible shape...but it's a sign of health.

Another is when they 'dig in' to a dry patch of earth to dust bathe, and it looks like they're having a seizure. I hope this is what you're seeing, and that your hen is not ill.

I never give antibiotics unless I can confirm a bacterial infection. It doesn't sound like it's necessary with your birds, so I would stop and give them yogurt with live cultures to aid any distress the antibiotics may have caused their intestinal flora.

If it doesn't sound as though she's sunbathing, can you give a bit more info? What else are you seeing?

I was thinking the same thing, Sunbathing. Laying on side, one wing up and filthy. Then when they're done it's shake off the dirt and back to pecking.

Last edited by Egg Crate (Today 9:38 am)

It really looks like something different than the sunbathing thing. She's definitely acting odd and none of the other birds are doing this. Sometimes I find her just standing with her eyes closed. She's not even picking on the two newbies that she used to run off when they came around. I stopped the antibiotics that I had let all the birds drink for just one day. Now I have the vitamins & electrolytes in one of the waterers. I'm so stressed out about this bird. I don't know if she's in pain or not. She does get up and act sort of normal for a while, but then she goes off and finds a secluded place to lay in that weird position. Sometimes she presses her head to the wall when she's laying like that. Also, since she seems to raise her bum in the air, I was thinking she might have some sort of obstruction. She is possibly at the age to start laying eggs. If there is an egg stuck in there, what can I do? Will it eventually come out, or will she die? I was having so much fun with my chickens in the palace we built them until this happened! I just don't know what to do.
I did talk to a chicken vet and she didn't know what to tell me, but she did ask if they had been wormed. I'm new at this and have only had them for a month, so didn't know. She said to give them Piperazine in their water for 2 to 3 days.

Sorry to post a question onto your site - i am new - very concerned about my Rosie and can't work out how to post a question.

I have a young chicken of less than 6 months old. started when I noticed her dragging her wing, treading on it. I bandaged it in place with a vet wrap. she was not happy after that - she was wobbly but I thought that was a balance thing. then I noticed her eyes were not bright and wide open. searched the net and found that I could use optrex - put a drop in each eye for a few days.

She grew more and more listless will not eat or drink - she cannot walk and I have to pick her up and put her in the nest box at night to shut her up. and lift her out in the morning or she will not bother. I left the wrap on for about 10 days but she was so unhappy that i took it off. I place her on the ground and she rolls about a bit until she is fairly upright with her feet in front. Her droppings are loose and green and while in colour?

any ideas. The other hen I bought at the same time is fine - just broody

Back
Top Bottom