I need to attract a fox?!?!? weird I know

carmeninthecountry

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
My parents have one or two foxes around there house they dont have chickens or anything ... but I do have a very small dog that my mom carries out to the bathroom and lets her out and all that and at night the fox/s are out ...so I am wanting to know how do you attract a fox...i have a huge live trap and just am wondering how would you atttract him to get in the pen?

Thanks alot

I've read on this site, that foxes are hard to catch but that movement attracts them - like feathers or something moving in a breeze. I would imagine even a feather duster would catch their eye. Then you need an attractive bait to reel them in - raw chicken or meat ( could be parts your family doesn't care to eat). I'm sure though if you catch a fox, there will be others to take his place.

Could you just fashion a safe small run for the dog to use at night and stay with him? If it isn't a fox, he could attract coyotes and such. You really have to stay with him and keep him leashed or penned to be safe. You can't catch all the bad things.

PS out here foxes and sometimes coyotes are out in full daylight and have snatched dogs with the owners in tow, even in suburbs of Chicago. The small breeds are especially at risk

My toy dogs are not allowed out in the 'big yard' unsupervised at all. It is fenced, but with them my biggest fear is hawks. The little guys only go out unsupervised in my fenced in covered carport area, even then, only when I am home and awake - not that that would stop anything, but I guess it makes me feel better. Toy dogs are at way too much risk from all sorts of predators. I agree, you'll need a kennel, it doesn't have to be huge, just big enough to use as a potty area (smaller area is easier to clean, too). I would suggest covering it though if the dog is very small.

Back
Top Bottom