I wonder if it's my yard?

Futrmakr

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2022
I am just at a loss at this point. I am on my 4th flock. I kept losing adult chickens to what I thought was Cocc. They were freeranged and sleep in coop at night. So for the new group, I decided they would be confined, just in case they kept getting into something out on our land. I decided to let them out last week for the first time at a year old. They were so excited and loved this new experience! But now... seriously? I've woken up to TWO piles of bloody white diarrhea on the poop board. It has to be something on our land. We have many juniper trees and scrub oak on red dirt with native weed grass. Trying to figure out how to narrow down why this keeps happening. 😭

I would get some Corid from your feed store right away and treat for possible coccidiosis. They need to be exposed to soil very young to build up a tolerance for coccidia in the soil. Since they were not allowed out until a year old, they may have coccidiosis. Corid dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 7 days. If you lose a chicken your state vet can perform a necropsy to find a cause of death.

Have you tried Corid? Usually bloody poop is the most common symptom of Coccidiosis. There's many different strains of Coccidiosis, some don't cause bloody poop, just bubbly diarrhea, or diarrhea.

Can you get a picture of the poop?

Have you tried Corid? Usually bloody poop is the most common symptom of Coccidiosis. There's many different strains of Coccidiosis, some don't cause bloody poop, just bubbly diarrhea, or diarrhea.

Can you get a picture of the poop?
Yes, many times. The thing that's different is that it happens so fast--like septic stool.

Take in some fresh droppings to your vet and ask for a fecal float and a gram stain to look for bacteria, coccidia, and worms. Call ahead to make sure they will do it. A necropsy is the best way to find out what is killing your flock. You also can post some pictures of your setup. Mold in feed, poisonous plants, or something else could be a problem. But right now, coccidiosis or enteritis might be possible. Enteritis can follow a subclinical case of coccidiosis, and that may require antibiotics.

I'm really sorry. Cocci is a nightmare; I've been through it a few times myself and it sucks.

@Eggcessive - If you don't mind me asking, what are your thoughts on giving them a milk flush (after fresh droppings are collected)? I'm wondering if it could tide them over until the results come back.

How long have you had them on it before stopping the treatment?
Take in some fresh droppings to your vet and ask for a fecal float and a gram stain to look for bacteria, coccidia, and worms. Call ahead to make sure they will do it. A necropsy is the best way to find out what is killing your flock. You also can post some pictures of your setup. Mold in feed, poisonous plants, or something else could be a problem. But right now, coccidiosis or enteritis might be possible. Enteritis can follow a subclinical case of coccidiosis, and that may require antibiotics.
Thank you. This is great advice. My challenge is finding a vet within driving distance of where we live who will help. What about extension office I wonder? My hypothesis is something in the soil/plants.

How long have you had them on it before stopping the treatment?
It depends on which group. The last group, my 2 hens died in 2 days after I saw that first drop on the poop board. The others didn't get sick. The group before took about 2 weeks. The group before that, I would say 1-2 weeks.

It depends on which group. The last group, my 2 hens died in 2 days after I saw that first drop on the poop board. The others didn't get sick. The group before took about 2 weeks. The group before that, I would say 1-2 weeks.
You may need a different drug to treat this one.
But do what was suggested by Eggcessive first.

Back
Top Bottom