IA here

They are beautiful! Do you have an enclosed coop for them? They need protection from predators like hawks, eagles owls, raccoons, possums, stray cats/dogs as well as a shady place to get out of the sun and rain.

They are beautiful! Do you have an enclosed coop for them? They need protection from predators like hawks, eagles owls, raccoons, possums, stray cats/dogs as well as a shady place to get out of the sun and rain.
They are in an enclosed run/aviary, in which they have a coop, a mini coop, and a raised bed they like to hang out under.

My cats aren't able to get in, so I imagine they'll be fine.

Okay, I just don't want you to lose any of those sweeties that took so much to find :) Watch them for heat stress if you don't have any shade for them. Also watch for the flying predators, where they are in that picture makes them perfect eagle snacks.

Another Iowan checking in :frow
I live about 20 minutes south of Iowa City in rural washington county. Just joined the forum! I have 20 birds, big variety of layers. Gearing up for our summer weather... Although not tomorrow. My area expecting around 50s and 40 at night.... 🥶

Another Iowan checking in :frow
I live about 20 minutes south of Iowa City in rural washington county. Just joined the forum! I have 20 birds, big variety of layers. Gearing up for our summer weather... Although not tomorrow. My area expecting around 50s and 40 at night.... 🥶
Hi Chicky! I am just south of you about 40 minutes ish it's great to see someone so close! We are having the weird icky weather too (of course lol). If you are looking for a couple of bantam cochin roosters, I have some to spare, hit me up! If not, that's okay too! I am just happy to find someone so close.
Welcome to BYC

It's so hot and tomorrow is going to be worse! 😞 How everyone's chickens? We have four 6 week olds and they seem fine! They've enjoyed their frozen watermelon and cucumber today. I've given them fresh water 4 times. I put a landscaping rock in a pan of water and I've seen two of them in the water and standing on the rock. Hang in there, everyone! We got this!

I have fans blowing into the run, I don't have a very well shaded area for them to free range so they stay in their shaded run during the hottest part of the day, watermelon, other refrigerated veggies and fruits, the fans, they seem to be okay so far. Not to rain on anyone's parade but I'm seeing 2 days in the forecast next week over 100....sorry!

@Sylie Ssshhh about the forecast! LOL

Our girls are in their nice shaded run and don't seem too bothered by the heat. They aren't doing anything differently than they normally would! How often do you give yours frozen watermelon?

Back
Top Bottom