I'm Done Selling Eggs Online

x2 on @NightingaleJen's post about the good, conscientious, caring postal carriers - I have one on my route, too. :highfive:

My carrier texted me one day to tell me that eggs had arrived for me and wanted to check if I wanted them held, even though they weren't marked by the seller to hold for pickup at the PO!:thThere are good carriers (and employees in other roles, I'm sure), but I'm just not sure if they outnumber the not-so-good...and the management is abysmally poor. Overhaul needed, IMO.

I ordered some business cards and post cards. I plan to attach a card to every box I ship from now on so that if I drop off Ebay they can still contact me. I will also keep their addresses so that I can send them a post card whenever I have a bumper crop of eggs, a new breed or something special like the little coops we're designing for Serama chickens. Really cute way to have a house chicken in a well made coop. Will also be good for balconies, tiny rooftop gardens, etc.

With the Pandemic I saw a huge increase in business. Unfortunately, I have had to deal with scammers, especially on Ebay. These are usually people who buy rare breeds. I guess they think its a way to make a fast buck. Well, I have news for them. Its a lot of work, and expense. That's why my eggs cost more than common breeds. It would be too funny if these scammers who are getting my eggs without paying for them have to deal with scammers once they start selling eggs.

Someone bought an order of these eggs and soon afterwards I got a message saying that she (the customer) thought the box I shipped her eggs in was too small and that her eggs were "internally damaged". That's a claim I get (internal damage) , from scammers who know they can use it with Ebay, and Ebay will believe them. There's also no way they can prove it, other than to say the eggs didn't hatch.

This time, I looked up the Buyer because the claims she made were so creative. I found out the Buyer also sells on Ebay. She sells the Hatching spray which is a total scam. Its a big crock of *&^%^ that you can't affect the health of a developing chick by spraying vitamins on its shell. This woman also was a felon, convicted of scamming the US Government in a mining claim scheme. According to the record, she repeatedly made false statements to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) over a two year period. I notified Ebay Customer Service about this, but they ignored it. Why should they care? They're not even located in the US. It does show a history of scamming, but all they want to do is get the complaint to go away. Since Covid19, you can't even speak to an agent, you have to communicate with them through email. Most of their communications come via form letters. None of it seems to come from a real person.

I just can't afford to keep shipping rare eggs to people who don't pay for them. I can't afford to keep feeding animals this way. I have to make the initial investment, build housing, buy feed, and care for them day after day, even though I'm getting scammed and these people are getting free eggs compliments of Ebay. I wish there was a viable alternative, but there isn't unless you have time to build a brand, a presence on the web, and waste time on social media postings. Sorry, I'm just not into that. I raise animals, that's what i want to do, and selling the eggs was simply a way to help me afford my hobby. But I'm done.
I give mine away or do swaps. But I found that some people are so rude and dont appreciate them. This happened yesterday with a new nieghbor. They asked then wouldn't even open the door when sucker here even delivered for them.
I pay for most of what I get, but find most people want to take and scam these days.

Yesterday a buyer opened a return case because the post office tried to deliver her package and there was no secure location to leave it. I write on every package "Do Not Leave In Sun". This woman lives in Southern California in Riverside County where it is hotter than blazes in the summer time. Now she won't pick up the package at the post office. I keep asking her to but she ignores me and says she wants replacement eggs or a refund. Why would i send her eggs if she won't pick up packages at the post office and there is no safe place for the post office to leave her package? The woman is nuts! They were rare eggs too.
I give mine away or do swaps. But I found that some people are so rude and dont appreciate them. This happened yesterday with a new nieghbor. They asked then wouldn't even open the door when sucker here even delivered for them.
I pay for most of what I get, but find most people want to take and scam these days.

Yesterday a buyer opened a return case because the post office tried to deliver her package and there was no secure location to leave it. I write on every package "Do Not Leave In Sun". This woman lives in Southern California in Riverside County where it is hotter than blazes in the summer time. Now she won't pick up the package at the post office. I keep asking her to but she ignores me and says she wants replacement eggs or a refund. Why would i send her eggs if she won't pick up packages at the post office and there is no safe place for the post office to leave her package? The woman is nuts! They were rare eggs too.
Perhaps she would like you to cook and serve them to her as well. Honestly people today are from a different planet to the one I lived on all these years. I'm sorry for your bad experiences and hope you find better customers. :)

I stumbled upon this thread and it made me sad. I like rare breeds and I like supporting real people like you. I bought our Tolbunt polish eggs from a smaller family business and it felt really nice to do that. I'm sorry that people are so terrible. Would you be able to find someone to set up a small basic website for you? Maybe you could figure out how to set up a basic one yourself using a program that is somewhat formulaic? That way when people search for breeds they will get a hit in Google? If I had any skill in doing so I would offer to do it for you, but I haven't done that before and my SIL, who does is rather expensive and times are tight for her and my brother right now. I myself decided not to go through Ebay because I was worried about people buying and reselling. I have had bad experiences with Ebay in the past and even though good people like you do sell on there, there are plenty of liars on there too. Do you have some local chicken groups on FB? We have a few here and they have meetups and no vendor fees. It would be a shame if you can't continue to support your hobby and others can't benefit from your care and experience.

That's right. And because Ebay and Paypal are connected, Ebay can reach into your account and take money out whenever it wants. PayPal used to be owned by Ebay. They say that they are no longer connected, but thats not true. Technically PayPal is no longer owned by the same parent company that owns Ebay, but they share all your information, bank account and credit card numbers, even your social security number. So if you sell on Ebay, they can basically do whatever they want, because they have all your information, which they claim they need, in case you make enough money for them to issue you a 1099 at the end of the year. Most sellers don't make that much money but they have to give Ebay their social security number anyway or risk having their account privileges limited.

Ebay basically wouldn't exist without sellers, but they treat them like dirt. Sellers pay fees to Ebay, not buyers. Yet Buyers are always given the benefit of the doubt and Sellers are penalized without question. We are at the mercy of Ebay and the Buyers that can leave whatever feedback they feel like leaving regardless of whether its true or not. Ebay will not remove untrue feedback, even if the seller proves its a lie. If you get enough bad feedback, they will remove your account, or charge you higher fees. So its in Ebay's best itnerest that they leave bad feedback as it is. A lot of people wouldn't be able to sell their products if it wasn't for Ebay, so they're stuck, in this sick slave like situation.
You do know you can also sell on Amazon?

Yes, but very few people sell hatching eggs on Amazon because of the fees which are higher than Ebay because you are reaching a larger audience.

At the moment, most of my Call Ducks are molting because its October. So I won't be selling them for another month or two and till I can test them in my incubator to see if they are fertile. i have been hatching out ducklings up until the point they stopped laying and started molting. Call Ducks aren't big layers so I have to wait for the optimum time because it wouldn't do much good if only 2 laid and I had an order for a dozen. I find that the little ducks are more susceptible to weather changes as well. They will be laying good and then we have a windy day and they stop.
So you sell call duck eggs if I was reading that right OP? I am interested in getting some.

Back
Top Bottom