I'm running a livestream on Twitch. Watch Barbu de Watermael eggs hatch!

What's up y'all, these eggs have been cooking 20 days and they've all been wiggling about for a full 24 hours. I'm hoping to see some external pips here soon. Feel free to join the stream at any time. These Barbu de Watermael could be any sort of color. I'm getting anxious! I have attached the breeder's photos of their adult birds.

https://www.twitch.tv/sarah_ladd?fb...g2YqIjTjCZEd9mmADON_d-CaaocURp59ciLIi5V28yWbc
Sara how are you liking your watermael so far? Hows the temperament on the roosters? Mine are about a week now and seem very friendly. Love to see how there turning out . Cutest chicks ever😊

Sara how are you liking your watermael so far? Hows the temperament on the roosters? Mine are about a week now and seem very friendly. Love to see how there turning out . Cutest chicks ever😊
I work from home now and I spend so much time with them that I'm a flock member and they get very distressed to see me go. One pullet in particular is very fond of me, she has a red bracelet and I have decided to name her Onyx. They come to me when I call. I haven't needed to lure them with food either, I seem to have earned their friendship without it. They enjoy sitting on my feet and legs, and will snuggle up to me and cover themselves with my long hair, nap on me, preen and play with my hair. Extremely cute.
It was suggested by someone I trust that cockerels who are given special treatment often end up jealous, aggressive roosters, so I have been very hands off with the cockerels. As a result, they don't trust my hands coming at them as much as the pullets do. Overall I'm always filled with joy playing with them. I supervise their outdoors time to keep them safe. They really enjoy playing in the grass and pop around like popcorn in the air when they get excited.

Attachments

• 20220520_125639.jpg
    20220520_125639.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220521_081615.jpg
    20220521_081615.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220522_085628.jpg
    20220522_085628.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220519_092732.jpg
    20220519_092732.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220523_133048.jpg
    20220523_133048.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220523_132605.jpg
    20220523_132605.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I work from home now and I spend so much time with them that I'm a flock member and they get very distressed to see me go. One pullet in particular is very fond of me, she has a red bracelet and I have decided to name her Onyx. They come to me when I call. I haven't needed to lure them with food either, I seem to have earned their friendship without it. They enjoy sitting on my feet and legs, and will snuggle up to me and cover themselves with my long hair, nap on me, preen and play with my hair. Extremely cute.
It was suggested by someone I trust that cockerels who are given special treatment often end up jealous, aggressive roosters, so I have been very hands off with the cockerels. As a result, they don't trust my hands coming at them as much as the pullets do. Overall I'm always filled with joy playing with them. I supervise their outdoors time to keep them safe. They really enjoy playing in the grass and pop around like popcorn in the air when they get excited.
Glad to hear your enjoying them. Definitely remind me of popcorn.😁 Very active friendly chicks. Like you said they want your attention even without treats. In my experience with my roosters (bantam Cochin) the more attention I give them the more there not afraid being petted. Sometimes you just get ones with more attitude.Never as friendly as may girls but they follow me and let me pet them. Going to see how that goes. I’m retired and have lots of time to spoil mine. Looking like I have 11 different shades of quail color and 2 blue quail. I’ll post more pictures as they grow. Loving my new babies❤️

Glad to hear your enjoying them. Definitely remind me of popcorn.😁 Very active friendly chicks. Like you said they want your attention even without treats. In my experience with my roosters (bantam Cochin) the more attention I give them the more there not afraid being petted. Sometimes you just get ones with more attitude.Never as friendly as may girls but they follow me and let me pet them. Going to see how that goes. I’m retired and have lots of time to spoil mine. Looking like I have 11 different shades of quail color and 2 blue quail. I’ll post more pictures as they grow. Loving my new babies❤️
Where did you get yours, are they greenfire too?

How big are they as a bantam?
Are they the size of D'uccle?
Barbu de watermael are supposed to average 100 grams smaller than barbu d'anvers. I'm unfamiliar with the ideal standard for barbu d'uccle, but watermael hen at maturity should weigh about 550 grams. I am a member of the American watermael club and I discussed this with one of the members just a few days ago. My chicks seem almost as big as my d'anvers already, but at 9 weeks, average pullet weighs 220 grams. Unrelated, but it was then I discovered I have been overfeeding my favorite d'anvers hen to the point she's past weight standards, lil chonker weighed 780 grams a few days ago. 😬

@SarahLadd , would you mind doing a video of a watermael cockerel/rooster crowing? I want to see and hear what it sounds like.

I'm interested in the pitch, volume, and duration of the crow. Thanks.

My cockerels haven't started to crow :) when they do I'll take a video and tag you.

That said. I think greenfire has a few vids on their facebook page if you dig deep enough. And, according to my friend in the Watermael club, their crow is described as "ear piercing, shrill, shrieking". Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 20220524_110343.jpg
    20220524_110343.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My cockerels haven't started to crow :) when they do I'll take a video and tag you.

That said. I think greenfire has a few vids on their facebook page if you dig deep enough. And, according to my friend in the Watermael club, their crow is described as "ear piercing, shrill, shrieking". Hope that helps!
I don't use Facebook. I'll look forward to the video. It will help to determine whether I want the breed or not.

And thank you.

Back
Top Bottom