I'm thinking about horses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bird_Lover_17

Birds are life
Apr 9, 2020
USA
Hi everyone, now this is not a definite, but I was thinking that (in the future) I might get a horse. I love birds, but I wanted a horse to go horseback riding and to groom it, etc. When I was 10, I worked on a farm with horses, and ever since I was 11 I have owned goats and other poultry. I just want any horse owners/ horse enthusiests to comment on:
1) your experience/ what you have learned
2) Good breeds
3) Pros/cons
4) any important info
Thank you! :) 🐎

Well, I’ve owned horses/ponies my whole life, and I’m glad you want to have the experience! It’s real nice to be able to ride on your own property instead of having to drive to do so. However, they need the proper nutrition and a large area to roam and eat grass. I use alfalfa hay for mine, and usually turn them out for a while each day in a large enclosed pasture. It’s easier to start with small horses and ponies around the ages of 10-15, as they are calmer and have experience themselves.

Great idea!
It's time to get riding again first, if riding is your plan. Visit local stables, and this is an awful time for it, but on second thought, maybe next year! Visit stables, sign up for riding lessons, and spend AT LEAST six months intensively redeveloping your interest and abilities, before considering anything further.
If riding lessons are too expensive or difficult to schedule, horses will also be too difficult and expensive.
I was a horse crazy kid, and finally could afford to own one at age 35ish, and take lessons, finally, and actually learn something about riding effectively.
Having one horse and boarding is one way to go, and should get you that indoor riding arena for all weather fun. Or, having multiple horses at home, on pasture, and raising foals, is a totally different but very satisfying experience.
Or taking care of rescue horses, another path.
I've given up riding, getting fragile and not wanting those fun experiences falling...
Still have four horses, two 'pasture pets', and two who should be out there doing things, but are still at home. Love them!
Mary

Well quarter horses are good horses because they have great tempers and they are more common so it’s easy to find good sources to research them.

You need to know what food they eat which is very important because different breeds and ages eat different types of food.

MAKE SURE you can cover the cost of food, farrier, dentist, vet, tack, and anything else that you could need in the future. That is the biggest problem people have is the cost.

How well can you ride? You need to be able to ride before you get a horse so you and the horse are safe.

If you keep it with other animals, like the goats for example, make sure they all get along.

Well, I’ve owned horses/ponies my whole life, and I’m glad you want to have the experience! It’s real nice to be able to ride on your own property instead of having to drive to do so. However, they need the proper nutrition and a large area to roam and eat grass. I use alfalfa hay for mine, and usually turn them out for a while each day in a large enclosed pasture. It’s easier to start with small horses and ponies around the ages of 10-15, as they are calmer and have experience themselves.
Thanks for your reply and info!

Great idea!
It's time to get riding again first, if riding is your plan. Visit local stables, and this is an awful time for it, but on second thought, maybe next year! Visit stables, sign up for riding lessons, and spend AT LEAST six months intensively redeveloping your interest and abilities, before considering anything further.
If riding lessons are too expensive or difficult to schedule, horses will also be too difficult and expensive.
I was a horse crazy kid, and finally could afford to own one at age 35ish, and take lessons, finally, and actually learn something about riding effectively.
Having one horse and boarding is one way to go, and should get you that indoor riding arena for all weather fun. Or, having multiple horses at home, on pasture, and raising foals, is a totally different but very satisfying experience.
Or taking care of rescue horses, another path.
I've given up riding, getting fragile and not wanting those fun experiences falling...
Still have four horses, two 'pasture pets', and two who should be out there doing things, but are still at home. Love them!
Mary
Thanks for your reply. This is great advice for considering if horses are right for me!

Well quarter horses are good horses because they have great tempers and they are more common so it’s easy to find good sources to research them.

You need to know what food they eat which is very important because different breeds and ages eat different types of food.

MAKE SURE you can cover the cost of food, farrier, dentist, vet, tack, and anything else that you could need in the future. That is the biggest problem people have is the cost.

How well can you ride? You need to be able to ride before you get a horse so you and the horse are safe.

If you keep it with other animals, like the goats for example, make sure they all get along.
Thanks for the breed suggestion and all of your info! I am ok at riding, although I do get a little nervous when I'm on a tall horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom