Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

The Chickenfest planning committee and myself have been discussing bio-security measures that we can take to ensure that the the upcoming Chickenfest will be as safe as possible for everyone attending. I have been in contact with Dr. Geoff Lossie regarding this matter.

Here is the information that I have received from him;
Here is the info that I have compiled for you on Avian Influenza. Once you read it please let me know if you have any questions. In terms of protecting yourself from others who may not follow good biosecurity, the best thing you can do is practice good biosecurity yourself as outlined in the document (showering and laundering clothes when returning from shows, and wearing all clean clothes before coming into contact with your own birds etc). In terms of carrying it in your nares, technically it is possible, but I would not worry too much about it. I discussed car cleanliness in the document as well. I also put in the document two great websites to visit for further biosecurity info.
If people have disease concerns in their flocks and need guidance they can call the ADDL at 765-494-7440.

Biosecurity: Preventing Avian Influenza

Biosecurity is an essential component of site management, and is necessary to keep your birds healthy. Biosecurity is especially important and on everyone’s mind with the presence of avian influenza here in the Midwest. Avian influenza is being spread by wild waterfowl, who are not affected by the disease. The disease is shed in the feces as well as in respiratory secretions. The disease can live upwards of 2 weeks in the proper environment (cold, and wet conditions are best). The virus can easily be spread by fomites (inanimate object capable of becoming contaminated with infectious organisms allowing the organism to spread). Articles such as footwear, farm equipment, automobiles, clothing, and other items if contaminated with feces or respiratory secretions from INFECTED birds, are all capable of transporting the virus. We do not, at this time recommend poultry meetings to allow live birds anywhere on the premises for trade or sale between participants due to the threat of disease spread. Trading of eggs is also very risky, as the shells (not the developing embryo) can be easily contaminated by feces, containing the virus, when the egg is laid. While our egg supply is safe, we don’t recommend bringing anything to the fair that can drag disease with it such as eggs. If eggs are brought we recommend they be sanitized with a dilute bleach solution.

All of this being said, regional and national poultry meetings are still taking place successfully. Carefully arranged meetings that stress the importance of the participants’ being “clean” and following basic biosecurity measures, have not been shown to be a significant risk of disease spread.

Below will be outlined some essential procedures that should be complied with by those intending to attend poultry meetings, 4H fairs, or poultry shows.

1. Restricted access: Keep access to your property and your birds restricted to essential persons only.
  2. Keep things clean and don’t bring disease home: Clean and disinfect your clothes, shoes, equipment, and hands. This is especially important when traveling to poultry meetings or livestock shows. Always wear fully laundered clothes to these events and never wear boots or shoes that have been used around poultry. We recommend showering before and after attending an event. When returning from shows, make sure to launder all clothes and disinfect any acquired equipment before coming into contact with your birds. DO NOT come into contact with your birds until you have showered and donned clean clothes.
  3. Don’t risk disease from your neighbor: do not borrow lawn and garden equipment (including automobiles), tools, or poultry supplies from other bird owners. Insist that any persons coming onto your property have clean clothes and shoes that have not been in contact with poultry or poultry premises. Having disposable boot/shoe covers available for visitors is recommended.
  4. Do not purchase birds from sale barns, auctions, or swap meets where birds are allowed to mingle.
  5. Avoid unnecessary exposure: If you still decide to show at fairs and poultry exhibits, you may want to limit the number of birds you bring, and do not bring your most valuable birds, unless you are willing to accept the risk.
  6. Post exhibition cleanliness: Keep all birds that have been shown at fairs, isolated from your other birds for a minimum of 30 days. Ideal isolation would be in a completely separate barn or enclosure located away from your other birds.
  7. Discourage wild waterfowl from your property: Do not feed wildlife or allow them access to your bird’s feed. Consider covering ponds or fencing off water features to prevent your birds from coming into direct contact with wild waterfowl or waterways that may be used by wild waterfowl.
  8. Automobiles: Prior to, and after visiting poultry shows/premises, wash all visible dirt and grime from the automobile and clean out any poultry waste or dirt (bed of truck, trunk etc) paying special notice to wheels and undercarriage. Floor mats can be laundered or sprayed with Lysol.
  9. Watch out for signs of disease: Most importantly watch for increased flock mortality (deaths), as this may be the only sign of an outbreak. See last link for a list of other possible signs of avian influenza.

For further information regarding avian influenza and proper biosecurity, visit:

http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov/

Below is a statement put out by the state veterinarian for Indiana.

http://www.in.gov/boah/files/HPAI_PrepSurvRep_AH-4-28-15(2).pdf

Geoffrey Lossie, D.V.M.
Resident, Poultry Diagnostic Medicine
Purdue University, Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory

A couple of the things that we will be changing this year from previous years, is we will not be allowing any live birds to be brought to the event for sale, swap or trade purposes. Eggs that are being brought for sale, trade or swap purposes will have to be kept in the vehicles and all exchanges will have to be done at the vehicles, and hands will have to be washed/sanatized immediately after exchanges. While this may seem to be somewhat extreme to some, we are doing this to help protect everyone.

I also want to let all the new members know about Chickenfest 2015. This year will be the 3rd year for it. It is a meet and greet, where people from all over the state, and a couple other states as well get together to share information, tips, and just talk chicken, or duck, or turkey, or bees, well you get the idea. This year we will also be having some demonstrations on rabbit raising, from start to finish, FF (fermenting feed), raising meal worms. We will also have the honor of having Dr. Geoff Lossie, Purdue Animal Disease & Diagnostic Lab doing a presentation for us. He will be doing an overview of AI (Avian Influenza) its current status in the US, worming protocols, respiratory issues, and general husbandry. We will also be serving dinner. We will have door prizes, and somethings for the younger attendees. There is no cost to attend, but we will accept free will donations. If you are interested in attending, please pm me (barb s).

I just want to post a few items concerning bio security for chickenfest.

As per the recommendations of Dr. Geoff Lossie, D.V.M. Resident, Poultry Diagnostic Medicine, Purdue Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab.

Unlike previous years, we will not be allowing live birds at the event. We will still allow for hatching eggs, but are asking that they be kept in the vehicles, and all exchanges be done at the vehicles.
And immediately following the exchanges, participants in the exchanges either use hand sanitizer or wash their hands.

We will also be providing shoe covers for everyone to put on before entering the building. We could possibly also be offering a foot bath sanitizing spray to use on shoes.

We are trying to make this as safe as we possibly can for everyones birds/fowl who attend the event.

Other updates concerning chickenfest. The menu for the event will be a Mexican and Hawaiian/Cantonese (Chinese) Haystack. Which is basically a build your own meal. We will be offering Vegetarian, Glutten Free, and Lactose Free items. We will provide Ice Tea, Lemonade, Water and Coffee to drink. If any one wants any other non-alcholic beverage, they will need to bring it.

I just want to post a few items concerning bio security for chickenfest.

As per the recommendations of Dr. Geoff Lossie, D.V.M. Resident, Poultry Diagnostic Medicine, Purdue Animal Disease Diagnostic Lab.

Unlike previous years, we will not be allowing live birds at the event. We will still allow for hatching eggs, but are asking that they be kept in the vehicles, and all exchanges be done at the vehicles.
And immediately following the exchanges, participants in the exchanges either use hand sanitizer or wash their hands.

We will also be providing shoe covers for everyone to put on before entering the building. We could possibly also be offering a foot bath sanitizing spray to use on shoes.

We are trying to make this as safe as we possibly can for everyones birds/fowl who attend the event.

Other updates concerning chickenfest. The menu for the event will be a Mexican and Hawaiian/Cantonese (Chinese) Haystack. Which is basically a build your own meal. We will be offering Vegetarian, Glutten Free, and Lactose Free items. We will provide Ice Tea, Lemonade, Water and Coffee to drink. If any one wants any other non-alcholic beverage, they will need to bring it.
I want to thank @barb s for her hard work on ensuring our fest is safe. Please be sure to private message her if you plan to attend. We have to plan meals and need a fairly accurate count of people. Also big thanks to @minmin1258 for planning our menu this year.
Please folks let us know if you are attending.

I enjoyed camping there too. I love Southern IN very much the hills, valleys and small towns are very welcoming. My youngest son is in Tell City.

It was very much so, almost wish it went later! Many are asking about September. June does seem to be very busy also.

I am located in Tell City, who is your son??

DATE: SATURDAY, JUNE 27TH, 2015

TIME: 11:00 AM TO 6:00 PM

DINNER SERVED AT 1:00 PM (STILL WORKING ON THE MENU, BUT IT WILL BE DELICIOUS)

SOME OF THE ACTIVITIES THAT WE HAVE PLANNED ARE:

FF (Fermenting Feed) Demo
Raising Meal Worms Demo
Rabbitry Demo (From picking a rabbit to processing rabbit, and everything in between) presented by Chloe (Zoann's daughter)

Demos we are hoping to also have are cheese making and aquaponics.

EGG TOSS AND/OR BALLOON TOSS FOR THE ADULTS - WINNER GETTING 25.00 PREMIER 1 GIFT CERTIFICATE

EGG TOSS AND/OR BALLOON TOSS FOR THE OLDER KIDS - WINNER GETTING 15.00 GIFT CERTIFICATE UNDETERMINED YET

SIDEWALK CHICKEN DRAWING CONTEST FOR YOUNGER KIDS WINNER GETTING A PRIZE THAT HAS YET TO BE DECIDED.

50/50 DRAWINGS - MONIES MADE FROM THIS WILL GO TOWARDS CHICKENFEST EXPENSES FOR THIS YEAR OR NEXT YEAR'S EVENT.

DOOR PRIZES - 1ST PLACE PREMIER HEAT PLATE, 2ND PRIZE 50.00 PREMIER GIFT CERTIFICATE, 3RD & 4TH PRIZE 25.00 PREMIER GIFT CERTIFICATE.

WE WILL BE ASKING FOR A FREE WILL DONATION TO ALSO HELP COVER EXPENSES.

RSVP ME (BARB S) WITH THE NUMBER OF ADULTS, NUMBER, AGE AND GENDER OF CHILDREN THAT PLAN ON ATTENDING. THE DEADLINE FOR RSVP'S IS MAY 31ST. BUT PLEASE GET THEM TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS THIS WILL HELP GREATLY WITH THE MEAL PLANNING AND ANY GIFT BAGS, ETC THAT WE MAY PUT TOGETHER.

We are still planning on having Chickenfest 2015. Until the Indiana Board of Animal Health puts restrictions or cancellations on shows, swaps, etc. we will proceed with Chickenfest. We feel that the bio security measures that will be in place will be better than any show, swaps, etc. have. We also feel that having Dr. Geoff Lossie there to give a presentation will help to educate everyone on AI and eliminate alot of the hearsay, rumors and things that are going around.

Here again is the information that I received from him concerning the spread of AI and the proceeding with chickenfest

To be clear, the AI virus MIGHT be better at attaching to dust and feather particles (it is currently just a theory). Right now unfortunately we don’t understand everything about how the virus is spreading (besides wild waterfowl) and what might make these strains different from others in the past.

In terms of still having the poultry fest, the Indiana Board of Animal Health has not placed any restrictions on bird meetings, 4H fairs, or swap meets. However, Dr. Wakenell and I recommend that people not take any of their birds to shows or swap meets. Plus we recommend that you not purchase birds from swap meets, sale barns, or from other sources unless you know the seller personally or have seen their operation.

The biggest thing will be to avoid all contact with wild waterfowl, especially their droppings. So really follow all of the recommendations that were outlined in the handout I sent you before, this will help keep your birds safe.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to get this information out there again.

if anyone might be interested, we can bring some iowa blue hatching eggs to the chickenstock (or EE eggs) .
Let us know within the next few days - currently have the two groups seperated, but will be letting them graze together within the next week or so, but will wait to do that if eggs are requested .

Back
Top Bottom