Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

we just put some of our breeders in the large pen together this week. its that time of year when breeding is wrapping up and growing out birds is taking its place. But we multi use the pens. They are breeder pens first but then as we need the space to grow out chicks, its a sign to end the breeding. No more pure Heritage RIR eggs for this season, or blue sumatra eggs. Turkeys are still in their quad free ranging and the BLRW are some what laying some what broody. Incubating should be slowing down here. I'm pleased with what we have so far other than the majority turning our to be roosters.

I also have 3 broody sumatra hens sharing 2 nests. It should be interesting as the eggs were given to the first two broody hens a few days apart.

A Big Thank you to @racinchickins for hosting a processing day today. Dh got to use his new knife and my rooster count is down a bit.

Chickenfest is just a few weeks away!!!! Although we won't be able to bring live birds this year, eggs are currently still acceptable. Although they need to remain in members cars, leaving windows cracked open a bit for ventilation should help keep them viable. I will be happy to bring hatching eggs for anyone interested, and will donate proceeds to next years fest. Will also offer a good discount for our big family here!
I should have (if still laying) guinea, Easter Egger & Lavender Orpington chickens as well as BYM (Barn Yard Mix), possibly goose eggs and Muscovy, or Pekin duck, turkey if they ever stop being broody. Please PM if you are interested in hatching eggs, and I need at least a week notice to collect eggs for you.
Live birds can still be swapped between private individuals "in state". I plan to discuss "chicken trains" with Dr. Lossie at our chickenfest to determine if its legal for us to do them right now. From what I am reading its not ok!
If anyone else attending plans to bring eggs for sale or swaps, be sure to post soon.

Back
Top Bottom