Injured Turkey Poult

linsybird

Songster
Jun 28, 2018
Oklahoma
I got a poult from Atwood’s because it looked a little rough. I’m not familiar with turkeys, but I am with chickens, so I know a little. The problem is, I’m not sure how to help this little guy. Can anyone here help me with this wound?

I have no idea the age or anything other than it’s and assorted white turkey. I’m not sure how bad the wound is, or even if the poor thing will survive. It’s not moving much, and has closed eyes most of the time.

They put the blue stuff on it there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 7
I got a poult from Atwood’s because it looked a little rough. I’m not familiar with turkeys, but I am with chickens, so I know a little. The problem is, I’m not sure how to help this little guy. Can anyone here help me with this wound?

I have no idea the age or anything other than it’s and assorted white turkey. I’m not sure how bad the wound is, or even if the poor thing will survive. It’s not moving much, and has closed eyes most of the time.

They put the blue stuff on it there.
It appears to be a Broad Breasted White (aka Giant White) poult. I would guess it between one and two weeks old. It was probably being pecked in that area by other poults. They put Blu-Kote on it.

There isn't much else that you can do for it other than provide proper nutrition for it. Proper nutrition for a turkey poult is a good high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the proper concentrations of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin. Feeding a chick starter is likely to cause leg problems.

It appears to be a Broad Breasted White (aka Giant White) poult. I would guess it between one and two weeks old. It was probably being pecked in that area by other poults. They put Blu-Kote on it.

There isn't much else that you can do for it other than provide proper nutrition for it. Proper nutrition for a turkey poult is a good high protein turkey or gamebird starter that has the proper concentrations of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin. Feeding a chick starter is likely to cause leg problems.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to do that! I have been able to get it to eat anything yet. Would scrambled eggs be a good thing to try with a turkey? The way it’s acting, I’m not sure how good it’s chances are, but at least I’m going to try

Back
Top Bottom