International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Yesterday I got some sand for the chickens, they spent all day enjoying it.
When I was working in the pens I let the marans into their "grazing space", I finished up and went inside for a bit.
I made a error and forgot to bring the dogs inside, 1 of my young dogs ended up killing one of my pullets.
I will have to learn from that, can't get lazy with the safety of my flocks.
Otherwise all the others seems to be totally fine.

Hello all!
It's been a bit since I've gotten on here, and saw the large recent topic off chicks. We are right now incubating chicks from our flock, and some from the Cottage Hill line.
We candled tonight, and are finding it hard to see any veins. Anyone else have this problem? We see obvious development, but no veins. Is it because the shells are so dark? We did however see the blood ring on 1 egg, and chick on others.

Pic 1- blood ring, dead chick was developing.
Pic 2- moving around, developing.

When I was working in the pens I let the marans into their "grazing space", I finished up and went inside for a bit.
I made a error and forgot to bring the dogs inside, 1 of my young dogs ended up killing one of my pullets.

Hey Braxton,

Sorry you lost your pullet but glad the others are all right!

Keith

Hello All,

Thought I would share some photos of my new fluffy butts that hatched last night / today. I hatched 15 chicks for a hatch rate of 55%. I was hoping for better but I guess that's not too bad since my Cockerels are newbies to the breeding game. Most of the chicks are BLCMs with a couple of BCMs. The chicks show good vigor and are well chunky. I'm liking their hatch down but I have a couple of chicks with a good amount of white on their faces / over their eyes so I've tagged them so I can track how their color develops (I'm looking to see if they carry the parasitic white). I'll post a separate photo so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Keith

sorry to hear that. it sucks when our dogs do that.

Hello All,

Thought I would share some photos of my new fluffy butts that hatched last night / today. I hatched 15 chicks for a hatch rate of 55%. I was hoping for better but I guess that's not too bad since my Cockerels are newbies to the breeding game. Most of the chicks are BLCMs with a couple of BCMs. The chicks show good vigor and are well chunky. I'm liking their hatch down but I have a couple of chicks with a good amount of white on their faces / over their eyes so I've tagged them so I can track how their color develops (I'm looking to see if they carry the parasitic white). I'll post a separate photo so y'all can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Keith

congrats, cute chicks.

I don't see a lot of white.

Hello all!
It's been a bit since I've gotten on here, and saw the large recent topic off chicks. We are right now incubating chicks from our flock, and some from the Cottage Hill line.
We candled tonight, and are finding it hard to see any veins. Anyone else have this problem? We see obvious development, but no veins. Is it because the shells are so dark? We did however see the blood ring on 1 egg, and chick on others.

I have a very hard time candling the dark eggs, as well as the blue eggs I get from my EE. I can see development in all but the darkest eggs, but not the veins. It's just the coloration of the eggs that makes it difficult.

Chooks man, I hatched one lone little Marans chick. It was Blue Copper rooster over a Black Copper Hen. I only have the two hens in that pen that are old enough to lay and both are Black Copper. I even know which hen layed that egg. So my Chicken friend says the chick is splash! She is also the person that I got the hen from. I know that she has had a Blue Copper rooster so dark that it looked black but was indeed Blue Copper. What do you think of this chick? Sorry second picture is the wrong chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom