International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Sharing just for fun, one of my sex-link Olive Egger pullets (BCM cockerel x Cream Legbar pullet.) :)

View attachment 1178959

I think she looks fabulous, and I'm excited to see a pic of a CL hen/Marans roo because this coming spring I will be breeding OE's this way. I have an OE now that is 1/4 Marans from an EE hen and Marans/EE roo...her legs are SUPER green, so I hope she has bright eggs. Won't know for another 3 months or so, though, lol.

We are so off topic.

olive-eggs.jpg

I think the last row is worded poorly and probably means you should breed the middle egg's hen to a pure dark blue egg layer, to prevent a darker green or brown like in the first row.

I really want to try for the mint colored eggs and the avacado ones. Hope to find a good roo with blue genes next spring.

Sorry to add to the off-topic-ness.

I think she looks fabulous, and I'm excited to see a pic of a CL hen/Marans roo because this coming spring I will be breeding OE's this way. I have an OE now that is 1/4 Marans from an EE hen and Marans/EE roo...her legs are SUPER green, so I hope she has bright eggs. Won't know for another 3 months or so, though, lol.

I think the last row is worded poorly and probably means you should breed the middle egg's hen to a pure dark blue egg layer, to prevent a darker green or brown like in the first row.

I really want to try for the mint colored eggs and the avacado ones. Hope to find a good roo with blue genes next spring.

Sorry to add to the off-topic-ness.

The good thing about breeding a BCM male over a CL female is the offspring is autosexing, meaning you can visually tell the gender of the chicks when they hatch. Females will be solid black, and the males will have a white spot on their head.

Female
20170924_214323.jpg

Male
20170912_113836.jpg

I am really curious to see their egg color and experimenting with other breedings in the future (back crossing these to Marans to darken olive color, and also barred F1 OE's.) :)

I also apologize for de-railing the thread off topic. Lol

Last edited:
The good thing about breeding a BCM male over a CL female is the offspring is autosexing, meaning you can visually tell the gender of the chicks when they hatch. Females will be solid black, and the males will have a white spot on their head.

Female
View attachment 1180295
Male
View attachment 1180297

I am really curious to see their egg color and experimenting with other breedings in the future (back crossing these to Marans to darken olive color, and also barred F1 OE's.) :)

I also apologize for de-railing the thread off topic. Lol
I know we have been terrible! I asked this question when my OEs were born and I couldn't get a straight answer! Thanks

I know we have been terrible! I asked this question when my OEs were born and I couldn't get a straight answer! Thanks

You're welcome! The non-barred male (BCM) over the barred female (CL) produces autosexing offspring because a barred female only passes the barring gene to her male offspring (white spot on the top of the males' heads indicates presence of the barring gene). The female offspring are non-barred (black) while the males are single barred (black with white head spot). That is what makes this cross auto-sexing.

A barred male (CL) over a non-barred female (BCM) produces all single barred male and female offspring because a barred male passes the barring gene to both his male and female offspring. All chicks, both male and female, will be black with a white head spot. Crossing this way is not auto-sexing. Chicken genetics is fascinating. :)

here a photos of my BCM cockerel K2 from Djabel BCM ( from the import ) over a BLC hen .
he is the best out the 5 I m keeping and he is huge ,like his mama.
sire Djabel
Dam Bella
only fault he has is his hackle ,has a double tone ( Straw colored) and his shoulder need more colors is patchy ( the French call this le poivrage )
his comb is the best out all the BCM of this year .actually his comb is faultless . 10/10.
P1070747.JPG
P1070748.JPG

P1070749.JPG

P1070750.JPG

my BC hen Norway is a carrier of the Mahogany ,all her sons with Zambezi have a darker copper .
So I m going to breed this cockerel K2 to Norway to balance the thing up . expecting a faultless chooks from this pairing .can t wait . long time to wait

chooks man

Here is my Marans breeding pen #1. We still have to winter proof the roost end of the pen to prevent as much comb frostbite damage as we can. The dimensions of the pen are 4 ft wide, 8 ft long, and 4 ft tall. Plenty of room for a pair or even a trio or quad. Now at least 2 pens more to go! :D

View attachment 1179662 View attachment 1179664

View attachment 1179634 View attachment 1179632 View attachment 1179631

love the nest box .
very handy is closer to the door .
chooks man

Here are a couple eggs I've gotten from the pullets with Maximus the past few days. They are still in the group pen and not single mated yet, so while I am tempted to set the eggs I may just wait until I know which eggs come from who. My husband is nearly finished with one of my single mate pens, and will finish working on the rest soon. :)

View attachment 1179552

they are very nice .
Bravo

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom