International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

My girls laying pretty good over the past couple weeks. I just moved them to a separation pen so they might take a few days to get back in to the groove. I'm excited to see what I can get out of them this season.

how many hens/pullets you are going to breed this season ?

love to see what hatch .

chooks man

I have 4 cocks right now for my birds. Handsome, Jackson1, Mr Big, and Jackson2.
IMG_20181204_081949940.jpg
IMG_20181204_081648142.jpg
here's Handsome. He's my blue birchen(silver) and he's probably got the most flaws, but I've liked his pattern a lot.
His back seems shorter, tail high, possibly split. Has a bit of straw, but mostly it melts out in hackles but straw remains in wing bows. He's possibly the most aggressive of all but still never bothered me nor the kids, he's just a boss rooster.
IMG_20181204_081736728.jpg
IMG_20181204_081842051.jpg
here is Jackson the smaller, full brother to Jackson the larger. The Jacksons are completely separate line from Handsome and Mr Big, and are sons of Jack and grandsons of Jake.

IMG_20181204_081542905_TOP.jpg
IMG_20181204_081537846.jpg
here is Jackson the larger, he's filled out quite nicely. Are his saddle feathers full enough? I love his mass and temperament.

IMG_20181204_081611063.jpg
IMG_20181204_081557643_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181204_081617793_TOP.jpg
here is Mr Big. He is massive and from the same group as Handsome. His color isn't as pronounced as the Jacksons or Handsome, but his shape and size are huge!

how many hens/pullets you are going to breed this season ?

love to see what hatch .

chooks man

My BCM boy has 4 BCM hens, 2 Olive eggers hens (CL x WB) and a pullet that will come of age by spring. He's got a nice group. How many I hatch really depends on how well the girls lay for me :)

Question. What is it about BCMs that make them so hard to breed consistently? I’m not even sure that’s the proper question I’m trying to ask. But like why do weird things crop up so easily, like extra points on combs, hackle halos, high tails, heavy color, light color, etc.

Is it just the whole genetic concoction? Or some recessive traits that have to be depended on, or I’m grasping. I guess I just don’t understand why they are so difficult. :D

Question. What is it about BCMs that make them so hard to breed consistently? I’m not even sure that’s the proper question I’m trying to ask. But like why do weird things crop up so easily, like extra points on combs, hackle halos, high tails, heavy color, light color, etc.

Is it just the whole genetic concoction? Or some recessive traits that have to be depended on, or I’m grasping. I guess I just don’t understand why they are so difficult. :D

Because they are still a relatively new breed and haven't been refined as much as older breeds that are more well established.

Also maybe so much focus on egg darkness that breeders let those type of faults slide in their program.

Back
Top Bottom