International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I saw that you raise Leghorns! I love Leghorns. I saw some really nice Light and Dark Brown Leghorns at the Appalachain Classic and nearly had my husband convinced to let me bring some home. They were fantastic! Do you show yours?

Oh you need to look up his thread “The Moonshiners Leghorns”. Some beautiful varieties he has!!

Question. What is it about BCMs that make them so hard to breed consistently? I’m not even sure that’s the proper question I’m trying to ask. But like why do weird things crop up so easily, like extra points on combs, hackle halos, high tails, heavy color, light color, etc.

Is it just the whole genetic concoction? Or some recessive traits that have to be depended on, or I’m grasping. I guess I just don’t understand why they are so difficult. :D

Because they are still a relatively new breed and haven't been refined as much as older breeds that are more well established.

Also maybe so much focus on egg darkness that breeders let those type of faults slide in their program.

Marans chooks are not any different than any other chooks ,it is just the breeders don t have any great breeding programs .
I see marans peoples jumping from one trait to another without knowing any low of genetic or how to go along with those genes .how to fix them or breed them out .

plus the genetic of marans chooks is not well known , plus a lot varieties are bred on the wrong chooks family genetic .
Example .
Black copper is a Birchen family genetic but the SOP call for the Cock to have a black chest or lightly spotted { hard to do because the gene of the ER/ER is design to put colour on the chest }.
genetically speaking regarding the body marking we are breeding bad BC/Bir body marking pattern .

Comb .back ,tail and all the other stuff is genetically correct . and need to be dealt with with ease all breed true .

3 things are different on a marans than other chooks .
1} Black copper body marking . never breed true we always have to maintain balanced it in our breeding pen .
2} lightly feathered shank. never breed true ,we always have to cull the heavy shanks feathering type and a clean shank .
3} Dark egg genes ,more complex than any other chooks known to us as breeders .

THEY CAN BE BRED TRUE AND THEY LL LOOK STUNNING
they just need serious breeders with a fat note books and a keen eyes . some genetic knowledge will help a lot for sure .

PAIRING THE BREEDERS CHOOKS IS A ART . not just assemble a group of chooks and pen them together and expect great progeny will be produced .

Chickengr one day she told us about this breeder she know . she said his method was . Rooster + Hen = chickens

chooks man

I saw that you raise Leghorns! I love Leghorns. I saw some really nice Light and Dark Brown Leghorns at the Appalachain Classic and nearly had my husband convinced to let me bring some home. They were fantastic! Do you show yours?
I haven't showed in years and have no plans to do so again.
Now I breed for experimenting with colors/patterns.

I haven't showed in years and have no plans to do so again.
Now I breed for experimenting with colors/patterns.

Hi Moonshiner { love the name} guess we have a lot to talk about .regarding colors/pattern .

I m breeding for a new or lost marans varieties .love all the different body pattern and colors in chooks .

you Welcome

I have 4 cocks right now for my birds. Handsome, Jackson1, Mr Big, and Jackson2.
View attachment 1607388 View attachment 1607389 here's Handsome. He's my blue birchen(silver) and he's probably got the most flaws, but I've liked his pattern a lot.
His back seems shorter, tail high, possibly split. Has a bit of straw, but mostly it melts out in hackles but straw remains in wing bows. He's possibly the most aggressive of all but still never bothered me nor the kids, he's just a boss rooster.
View attachment 1607390 View attachment 1607391 here is Jackson the smaller, full brother to Jackson the larger. The Jacksons are completely separate line from Handsome and Mr Big, and are sons of Jack and grandsons of Jake.

View attachment 1607395 View attachment 1607396 here is Jackson the larger, he's filled out quite nicely. Are his saddle feathers full enough? I love his mass and temperament.

View attachment 1607430 View attachment 1607432 View attachment 1607433 here is Mr Big. He is massive and from the same group as Handsome. His color isn't as pronounced as the Jacksons or Handsome, but his shape and size are huge!

the Big Jackson is stunning .it is the only one to breed from if you want to breed a pure Birchen . your line is producing correct silver and a correct body type .please do not mix it with a Blue birchen rooster .he is loaded with fault ,not a breeder in my book .

chooks man

Hi Moonshiner { love the name} guess we have a lot to talk about .regarding colors/pattern .

I m breeding for a new or lost marans varieties .love all the different body pattern and colors in chooks .

you Welcome
I was active on this thread for a bit and followed your posts for a while.
I believe we do have some things in common. Just working with different breeds.
I love color/pattern genetics and pick up what I can when I can. I'm quite sure I can learn a thing or two from you projects.

img_20181204_081542905_top-jpg.1607395

@Bantambird

I like Big Jackson a lot .you have done well breeding him .Son of Jack and Grand son of Jake .
you come a long way and the silver on Jackson is stunning .
keep this line pure .please .

Jackson is a hole package my friend.

chooks man

Marans chooks are not any different than any other chooks ,it is just the breeders don t have any great breeding programs .
I see marans peoples jumping from one trait to another without knowing any low of genetic or how to go along with those genes .how to fix them or breed them out .

plus the genetic of marans chooks is not well known , plus a lot varieties are bred on the wrong chooks family genetic .
Example .
Black copper is a Birchen family genetic but the SOP call for the Cock to have a black chest or lightly spotted { hard to do because the gene of the ER/ER is design to put colour on the chest }.
genetically speaking regarding the body marking we are breeding bad BC/Bir body marking pattern .

Comb .back ,tail and all the other stuff is genetically correct . and need to be dealt with with ease all breed true .

3 things are different on a marans than other chooks .
1} Black copper body marking . never breed true we always have to maintain balanced it in our breeding pen .
2} lightly feathered shank. never breed true ,we always have to cull the heavy shanks feathering type and a clean shank .
3} Dark egg genes ,more complex than any other chooks known to us as breeders .

THEY CAN BE BRED TRUE AND THEY LL LOOK STUNNING
they just need serious breeders with a fat note books and a keen eyes . some genetic knowledge will help a lot for sure .

PAIRING THE BREEDERS CHOOKS IS A ART . not just assemble a group of chooks and pen them together and expect great progeny will be produced .

Chickengr one day she told us about this breeder she know . she said his method was . Rooster + Hen = chickens

chooks man

All makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
(The solid black chest was my favorite part of the cockerel I had)

I really like the blues and blue copper, but I just might have to look into the Birchen

You're to kind. :)

Thank you. I rarely see that comment. :lol:
Seriously though, I think you have some great project colors going on.

Back
Top Bottom