International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Queen and Malika lay about a 5. I can try to hunt pictures of Duchess's egg on my phone. I was disappointed when she started laying and wasn't overly sorry none of her eggs hatched. Her egg really may not even be able to be called a 4. I am hesitant to use her. :(

View attachment 1969297

I like a shape .true marans oval shape .,she could be used for other traits .body type ect......... plus I like oval egg ,they are the best .
the eggs I got from Liza s import line hens lay very light #2/#3 .she did not want to use them scared to loose the egg colour .not me I bought all the eggs and incubating them all .as long as I tag them and I know who they are I m fine ,Import line has a correct body type .stunning conformation ,so well breeding them . they come from show line ,well worked but the egg colour was forgotten ,

chooks man

If Im not mistaken the eggs on the bottom row are Queen and Malika's eggs. It is hard to tell their eggs apart as they look very similar.

View attachment 1969302

Queen and her Daughter Malika are the best .they have it all ,body type ,mass ,dark eggs plus they can reproduce them selves . great foundation hen . don t loose them ,back cross them to they son s /grand son s and you will see egg colour go higher . selective breeding for dark egg .

chooks man

Just got finished culling the BCM cockerels, 2 white legbar cockerels, and one OEG cockerel. I am saving SW and Vortex for a friend's layer flock so they got a reprieve. I decided to part ways with SW.

I found a young pullet free ranging. Probably the youngest out of all I raised. I checked her wing band and she is a Prince x Malika. I moved Malika in with Prince late in the summer this year to see if I could raise a few chicks from the pair (full brother/sister). We'll see how she turns out.

one more gift .keep looking maybe there is more gift there for you .keep a little princes safe .love to see photos of her when ready .well happy about it .
chooks man

I like a shape .true marans oval shape .,she could be used for other traits .body type ect......... plus I like oval egg ,they are the best .
the eggs I got from Liza s import line hens lay very light #2/#3 .she did not want to use them scared to loose the egg colour .not me I bought all the eggs and incubating them all .as long as I tag them and I know who they are I m fine ,Import line has a correct body type .stunning conformation ,so well breeding them . they come from show line ,well worked but the egg colour was forgotten ,

chooks man

I will breed her and see what she produces. I wing band all chicks so no fear of mixing anything up. I will be single mating everything next year. We're culling lots of extra birds to make room in the 4x4s for single mating my Marans. :)

Last edited:
I will breed her and see what she produces. I wing band all chicks so no fear of mixing anything up. I will be single mating everything next year. We're culling lots of extra birds to make room in the 4x4 for single mating my Marans. :)

great move ,single mating and tagging is a way to go my friend.
dark egg genes are complex .mated to the right cockerel will yield some dark egg layer for sure .
DH carries Malika and his Grand Dam Queen s genes .so it is reinforced .he come from dark egg strain not just dark egg .mated to Duchess I will be not worrying .

chooks man

great move ,single mating and tagging is a way to go my friend.
dark egg genes are complex .mated to the right cockerel will yield some dark egg layer for sure .
DH carries Malika and his Grand Dam Queen s genes .so it is reinforced .he come from dark egg strain not just dark egg .mated to Duchess I will be not worrying .

chooks man

Okay great! I moved all the females I plan on breeding to pens without a rooster so they can rest up through winter. I also looked through some pullets free ranging and selected a couple that looked promising and penned them up as well. They have good hackle color, were nice and wide, and appeared to have low tail angle. Both have dark eyes though, but otherwise they look good. Time will tell as they mature.

As I looked through the free ranging pullets there were a couple that had white in their wing. Each bird had just one white feather, nothing too extreme. Unless there are no other options, I will avoid using those.

nice to hear from you .some photos of your lovelymarans please .
chooks man
Chooks Man. I would not have any of these beautiful birds, if not for this thread. Thank you Red Banks for starting this thread and all of you that are still here. Might not be any pics for awhile Holidays and it is only 25 today with a 30 mile an hour wind! Mostly we just try to stay alive until spring. -15 degrees coming soon.TOM

Okay great! I moved all the females I plan on breeding to pens without a rooster so they can rest up through winter. I also looked through some pullets free ranging and selected a couple that looked promising and penned them up as well. They have good hackle color, were nice and wide, and appeared to have low tail angle. Both have dark eyes though, but otherwise they look good. Time will tell as they mature.

As I looked through the free ranging pullets there were a couple that had white in their wing. Each bird had just one white feather, nothing too extreme. Unless there are no other options, I will avoid using those.

sound great .
let the pullets mature and see if the white feathers are still there .
Dark eyes pullets will be only mated to DH

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom