International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I think I use size 11 for mature Marans females, size 12 for mature Marans males. Size 9 for juveniles I think.
Kala, I use the spiral leg band they must run small because I use a size 14 for all my adults. I use different colors for a visual. Thank you Kayla for telling me about wing banding. I am glad I have learned to wing band. I watched a few videos first. I have had the bandetts come off. So the wing band is a permanent identification if the bands fail. Have you had that problem with the bandetts coming off Kayla?

100_3735.JPG
Planning for March, April hatching. I have the rooster and three hens that produced these pullets. All these pullets have nice flat top line, great copper hackle, nice copper eye and good head. GREAT EGG COLOR Average weight at 30 eggs 54grams.
Chooks man can I breed father, daughter and start a line. With this cross will I have too much copper. I also plan to use this rooster over the three hens. Will not do anything until the eggs reach 65grams. Pullets will be 9 months in March. Tom

What size leg bands does everyone use on their birds? I like the idea of leg bands since the color is easy to spot from a distance and numbered to give a catalog of who they are. We were at the Dixie classic and they had great pricing on leg bands but I didn’t know which to get. Can I get one size and band when they are half grown or should I use multiple sizes for different stages?

thanks, Ben

marans leg band size are . hen 20 mim ,rooster 22 mim .
chooks man

Kala, I use the spiral leg band they must run small because I use a size 14 for all my adults. I use different colors for a visual. Thank you Kayla for telling me about wing banding. I am glad I have learned to wing band. I watched a few videos first. I have had the bandetts come off. So the wing band is a permanent identification if the bands fail. Have you had that problem with the bandetts coming off Kayla?

You're very welcome! :D

Yes we have had issues with them coming off which is why I only use them for tagging a bird I have my eye on so I can pick them out again easily. Wing banding is permanent and lasts throughout the life of the bird. I'm glad it has worked out for you. Wing bands get pulled out every once in a blue moon but not very often. My motto is that if I pick up a bird without a wing band, they are not to be bred. I think I have only encountered one bird this year that lost his wing band.. an American Game cockerel. It got ripped out accidentally but he was young and I caught it in time to know who he was.

View attachment 1978259 Planning for March, April hatching. I have the rooster and three hens that produced these pullets. All these pullets have nice flat top line, great copper hackle, nice copper eye and good head. GREAT EGG COLOR Average weight at 30 eggs 54grams.
Chooks man can I breed father, daughter and start a line. With this cross will I have too much copper. I also plan to use this rooster over the three hens. Will not do anything until the eggs reach 65grams. Pullets will be 9 months in March. Tom

lovely eggs colour .
yes you can breed father rooster to his daughters . the pullets are showing correct hackle marking ,I do no see any coloured pullets . can you please post some photos of they father . because we need to see other traits .comb etc............. because back crossing is reinforcing all the traits ,not only the good .one ,so we have to make sure the sire has minimum faults possible or nothing is preferred .
select only the best/correct pullets to cross back to they sire .

yes 65g is a minimum for marans egg to be incubated .

chooks man

100_3720-jpg.1978280

@Old Man Tom
the pullet in bottom left front , with a complete hackle marking .has too much copper on the front of her neck .she will throw over colored cockerels progeny if matted to her sire{ first I need to see the photos of him ,see how much copper he has .} if his chest is dotted than do no breed him to this pullet ,bred him to the pullets with a black front
if his chest is black than nothing to worry about .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom