International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

1593379356619.png

@BentTN
this cockerel is correct in all the area I see .Except his copper type .
the comb has a good points but the lobe is touching the neck .
love his long thick back and small tail . good head on him .

chooks man

1593380120435.png

@BenTN
this one is balanced .well put together ,maybe not as big as the other 2 but he has his own style . he is short on his feet close to the ground . chunky type .
his copper look more uniform . not sure just photos or true color?

chooks man

PS = I do see good wing on the 3 cockerels . well tucked in close the the body Horizontal to the ground .

gorgeous body type ,long /wide and super chunky .I do not see any split wing on the cockerel .they look to me they holding they wing close to they body .
I don t like the copper on the cockerel look more golden to me .maybe just a light ?

chooks man

Thanks! I am hoping the split wing that I am seeing will molt out. The copper is looking very light almost golden/yellow. There are a couple cockerels in the younger hatch who have the richer copper color.

Thanks! I am hoping the split wing that I am seeing will molt out. The copper is looking very light almost golden/yellow. There are a couple cockerels in the younger hatch who have the richer copper color.

make sure you keep cockerels with a proper copper even if they are lucking in other area .
you do no want to be stuck with a golden or split hackle ,hard to breed out when it is bred to the pullets .

@marchick is hatching some stunning ,correct cockerels ,she will be culling all the surplus ,so I think you can organize some thing with her to spare you one nice one to add to your breeding program . I m not sure how far you are from each other? but I think it is worth it .

chooks man

make sure you keep cockerels with a proper copper even if they are lucking in other area .
you do no want to be stuck with a golden or split hackle ,hard to breed out when it is bred to the pullets .

@marchick is hatching some stunning ,correct cockerels ,she will be culling all the surplus ,so I think you can organize some thing with her to spare you one nice one to add to your breeding program . I m not sure how far you are from each other? but I think it is worth it .

chooks man
The problem with this is it would be way too expensive to ship. The last 2 pullets I had shipped from Harvey I believe was $125. The boxes are expensive also 6 boxes for $101 counting shipping. These are the cheaper boxes and they would be less to ship but they are small. I just don't know! It wouldn't be so bad but I would be stuck with extra boxes out of pocket. Kayla told me to wait. Not sure if she can afford the cost at this time.

Last edited:
The problem with this is it would be way too expensive to ship. The last 2 pullets I had shipped from Harvey I believe was $125. The boxes are expensive also 6 boxes for $101 counting shipping. These are the cheaper boxes and they would be less to ship but they are small. I just don't know! It wouldn't be so bad but I would be stuck with extra boxes out of pocket. Kayla told me to wait. Not sure if she can afford the cost at this time.

me I m just suggesting from the genetic point of view ,what line could help a great help .
the process to move the chooks is up to you guys .

chooks man

Woo! All my pullets are laying! Plus, my Blue who just went broody started laying Again and her eggs went a full shade darker than they were before. Finally getting some dark eggs from my own girls in my hands

I probably only have 1 pullet I would breed from.

what’s anyones thoughts on setting up a breeding program? I’d probably like to hatch twice a year. I’d love to never have to bring in another bird once I get going.

should I look for a boy to pair breed this girl I have to setup breeding pens from their offspring? If so, should the boy be from a totally separate line or from the same breeder?

should I go back to the same breeder this winter and hatch for a bunch more pullets to try and get more to start with foundation wise?

If I were to start with just a pair, should they come from completely different lines, or is the mixing of lines a kiss of death?

FCB89DE5-B24B-45FC-B376-D91C6ABB2A25.jpeg

I can look around and see if I can find single boxes that way you don't have to purchase 6. It is too hot now anyway to ship. I can let you know if I can financially swing the shipping cost when the weather cools. Life has just hit us blow after blow lately. This has been a really bad year all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom