International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

thank you my friend .
50 ;70 is a great number to work deep any line
if you working with a pair . need to hatch 40/50 chicks
if you working with trio .you need to hatch about 30/35 chicks by hen
if you working with a quad .you ll be hatching 20/25 chicks by hen .
those numbers are needed to build a line from scratch . when the line is established ,than you don t need a high number to maintain it .

chooks man
How many do you think I will need to hatch next year? They wont be old enough till late in the year. I got a late start in hatching. Maybe I should skip a year and wait till they are older.

@jolenesdad .
if you want to build a line more efficiently and faster .you need to apply test mating to find a compatible pair .
don t select your breeders recording only to they conformation .you need to test mate them to see what they throw .what is the quality or the flows of they offspring .
we are looking for breeders not show birds .
breeder bird they don t have to be free from any flow but they can produce a faultless progeny .

chooks man
Okay so as I mentioned I’m behind in the thread and also here at the end. An awkward place to be but let’s go with it. 😬 I’ll get this worked out as I read through.

Here’s my story. I’ve been involved in chickens for four or so years. I built my dream house in an equestrian neighborhood that outlaws roosters. :-( I’ve bucked their system and fought with my HOA to get some young cockerels to evaluation and breeding age just to learn, but it’s been a nightmare. for the last two years I’ve been hatching hundreds of birds and growing out chicks to find pullets I like. I’m incredibly happy with this group, no culls or bad feet in the hatch, 95% hatch success on shipped eggs, and then they lay this dark. Yay.

after four years, I’ve finally decided that I have proven to myself that I’m passionate enough about chickens and working with them long term to go ahead and sell our property and move on. It’s going on the market in two weeks. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

I’m happy to proceed however is best for the long term nature in terms of building a line to work with long term. I’m literally selling the dream property we built for us just to be able to breed chickens so I want it to be right, that’s for sure. Many of my questions I pose are both for near term breeding of these pullets I have, how to build a line, but also, for the long term so I know what I should be budgeting or looking for space-wise as we don’t have a property yet to move to. (Like how many chickens do I actually want or need to grow out per year).

And counting! Lol We will probably reach 2000 pages by the end of the year. I need to go back through and read it again but that's a winter thing. Too buisy any other time of the year.

yes you need to read it again from start to see the beauty of this thread , we covered about every marans traits and breeding practice

chooms man .

Okay so as I mentioned I’m behind in the thread and also here at the end. An awkward place to be but let’s go with it. 😬 I’ll get this worked out as I read through.

Here’s my story. I’ve been involved in chickens for four or so years. I built my dream house in an equestrian neighborhood that outlaws roosters. :-( I’ve bucked their system and fought with my HOA to get some young cockerels to evaluation and breeding age just to learn, but it’s been a nightmare. for the last two years I’ve been hatching hundreds of birds and growing out chicks to find pullets I like. I’m incredibly happy with this group, no culls or bad feet in the hatch, 95% hatch success on shipped eggs, and then they lay this dark. Yay.

after four years, I’ve finally decided that I have proven to myself that I’m passionate enough about chickens and working with them long term to go ahead and sell our property and move on. It’s going on the market in two weeks. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

I’m happy to proceed however is best for the long term nature in terms of building a line to work with long term. I’m literally selling the dream property we built for us just to be able to breed chickens so I want it to be right, that’s for sure. Many of my questions I pose are both for near term breeding of these pullets I have, how to build a line, but also, for the long term so I know what I should be budgeting or looking for space-wise as we don’t have a property yet to move to. (Like how many chickens do I actually want or need to grow out per year).

I see my friend .you are really serious about what are you doing .love that attitude and dedication .
good luck of finding what you are looking for .

chooks man

How many do you think I will need to hatch next year? They wont be old enough till late in the year. I got a late start in hatching. Maybe I should skip a year and wait till they are older.

let wait and see how the young stock mature so we know what we are keeping and how we breed them .

chooks man

Chooks man- what is a BLC cockerel.
Also what do you mean by late maturing cockerel- how late is late?
Any thoughts on my cockerels? They are 11 weeks. There are 2 more but I didn' IMG_6730.jpg IMG_6725.JPG IMG_6659.jpg IMG_6656.jpg IMG_6645.JPG IMG_6729.JPG IMG_6723.JPG IMG_6647.JPG IMG_6722.JPG IMG_6657.jpg IMG_6726.JPG IMG_6644.JPG IMG_6727.JPG IMG_6724.JPG IMG_6646.JPG IMG_6649.JPG t catch them on film today. Will try tomorrow when I take pics of the hens.

Attachments

• IMG_6661.jpg
    IMG_6661.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2
Chooks man- what is a BLC cockerel.
Also what do you mean by late maturing cockerel- how late is late?
Any thoughts on my cockerels? They are 11 weeks. There are 2 more but I didn'View attachment 2257767View attachment 2257768View attachment 2257769View attachment 2257771View attachment 2257772View attachment 2257774View attachment 2257775View attachment 2257776View attachment 2257777View attachment 2257778View attachment 2257779View attachment 2257780View attachment 2257781View attachment 2257783View attachment 2257784View attachment 2257785t catch them on film today. Will try tomorrow when I take pics of the hens.

they look good .
can you help me out and post each cockerel photos separate . so I can comment on them without getting confused .
you have many varieties .tell me about them please .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom