International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I knew someone who made chicken sausage. They have passed on now. I know they added some pork fat and sage. They used some other seasonings as well but I do not have a recipe. It was very tasty!
I don’t know about in America but in the UK you can buy chicken sausages and chicken mince in some super markets. People often use them as healthier alternatives to redder meats. I’m not a huge fan of them though, I’d rather each chicken as it comes from the bird without processing. Maybe some better seasoning than the supermarkets use might make them good.

What is everybody’s experience with pullets starting to lay? Mine are at 21 weeks from hatch and have had vibrant red combs for awhile now.

IMG_2696.jpeg

IMG_2699.jpeg

Last edited:
What is everybody’s experience with pullets starting to lay? Mine are at 21 weeks from hatch and have had vibrant red combs for awhile now.

View attachment 3773636
View attachment 3773648
Mine were hatched in late June and didn’t start laying until early to mid February. My barred rock and EEs had similar hatch and lay dates so I think day length at the time the matured was the biggest reason they started a little late. Yours look very close to point of lay in my limited experience

View attachment 3773636
View attachment 3773648
She looks stunning. As red as a hen’s comb comes, contrasting the perfect black and nice dash of copper. My Esme was 30 weeks when she started laying but her face isn’t as red as yours. Chanel was 25 weeks (I just discovered when checking now that Esme laid her first egg a year after Chanel (her mother) laid hers, minus two days) and Natasha was 29 weeks. Based on your pullet’s face I assume they may start earlier than mine did, maybe 24 weeks. I’d expect them to lay any time now anyway, good luck.

Thanks. I think the 2 hens I have are beauties. I might have to lock them up soon and see if they will lay in the nest boxes.
I really wanted to keep the rooster with them so I could hatch some purebred Marans pullets, but I don’t think I can keep him much longer in my urban backyard. He’s crowing very loudly starting about 5:30 and doesn’t stop much until afternoon. The neighbors don’t say anything but it can’t be fun for them.

Thanks. I think the 2 hens I have are beauties. I might have to lock them up soon and see if they will lay in the nest boxes.
I really wanted to keep the rooster with them so I could hatch some purebred Marans pullets, but I don’t think I can keep him much longer in my urban backyard. He’s crowing very loudly starting about 5:30 and doesn’t stop much until afternoon. The neighbors don’t say anything but it can’t be fun for them.
Maybe get some eggs set when they start laying and then get rid of the roo when you get some cockerels hatched. Then just repeat this so there is only a limited time when you have a crowing rooster.

Or you could try those No crow collars. I haven’t had much luck with them, no bad side effects but I’ve never managed to get them to work as I’m scared of doing them too tight. I’d be interested in hearing other people’s opinions on them.

Or keep him in a dark enclosed space during the times you don’t want him to crow, hopefully he shouldn’t crow when it’s dark. I don’t know how your place is set up so I don’t know if this is suitable for you.

I would definitely do that and hatch some chicks. Blessings to you and your Marans.

I think Dave is happy! 😊 lavender band! I put him in with 6 BC pullets and hens. Not set up as a breeding flock but to lessen the amount on my main flock. Also my plan to keep all 3 cockerels till I decide differently. I also gave Buddy pink and brown band the 4 hens that keep sleeping in the nest boxes. Just to brake them.

Attachments

• 20240316_120050.jpg
    20240316_120050.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This is my favorite girl Lady. She has a leg injury. I doctored her for months and she had a splint on to straighten her leg. She still has at times a glitch in her step but over all she gets around well. Sometimes I can't tell which one is her. I got really attracted to her.

Attachments

• 20240316_120347.jpg
    20240316_120347.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_120324.jpg
    20240316_120324.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_120334.jpg
    20240316_120334.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_120218.jpg
    20240316_120218.jpg