Is apple cider vinegar (ACV) poisonous to ducks?

tattycat

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
I've read many threads about the benefits of ACV (apple cider vinegar) with both ducks and chickens and I've seen it 'perk up' my own chickens when they've looked down, however, I've just seen a story about someone who gave ACV to their flock including ducks and came out in the morning to fine most of the ducks dead with the only explanation being ACV.
My chickens have only recently started sharing an area with 2 Aylesbury ducks and before I add ACV to the drinking water I wanted to know if anyone else has either had experiance of or heard of this type of reaction in ducks before?
It's causing much controversy between myself and a friend who found the story and now is adamant that it will poison ducks if mixed in with the drinking water so please can someone settle this?!
Thanks everso much!
bow.gif

One question to ask is, was the waterer galvanized metal? Another question is how high a concentration of vinegar was used? ACV is an acid, so could possibly cause the release of zinc, a toxic metal, into the water, if the percentage of ACV were high enough.

I put ACV in my ducks' water from time to time with no problem. I also use plastic or stainless steel containers. I do not use galvanized containers for anything they eat or drink from to avoid metal toxicity.

While many of us are here to share and to help, you need to do what you feel right about.

Last edited:
See this is what I needed to know, it's driving me mad! It's an anecdote in a duck book and it hasn't gone into nearly enough detail!
Thanks for your help, I think (when I can get some) I'll put just a few drops into their water and see how it goes, we only use plastic containers for all feed and water coz it's easier to clean out and disinfect!
Although I would hate it if anything happened to our ducks so many people have said they use it without any problem I think we should give it a go in very small doses!
Does anyone know if there is a "good age" to start giving it to either ducks or chickens?

I've read many threads about the benefits of ACV (apple cider vinegar) with both ducks and chickens and I've seen it 'perk up' my own chickens when they've looked down, however, I've just seen a story about someone who gave ACV to their flock including ducks and came out in the morning to fine most of the ducks dead with the only explanation being ACV.
My chickens have only recently started sharing an area with 2 Aylesbury ducks and before I add ACV to the drinking water I wanted to know if anyone else has either had experiance of or heard of this type of reaction in ducks before?
It's causing much controversy between myself and a friend who found the story and now is adamant that it will poison ducks if mixed in with the drinking water so please can someone settle this?!
Thanks everso much!
bow.gif

Can you link us the article? I have read that ACV is an antidote as well.

If I was worried about it I just wouldn't give it to my ducks. They have stuff at the feed store you can buy for different needs. From what Ive seen all of it is very reasonably priced. Why do you want to give acv to them?

A slight tangent, but FYI

I enjoy ACV in a summer drink called swizzle, switzel, switchel, haymaker's punch, and many other names.

It is mostly water, with some ACV, molasses or maple syrup, honey or sugar, ginger, a pinch of salt, and sometimes a few oats. It is what field workers drank (going back a couple hundred years) during summer harvest, as it was considered to be better than water. It contains potassium and sodium, which are lost in perspiration and physical exertion.

to Missy60 it's not that I particularly want to give it just to them but they run with my chickens and share their water and my poor chickens are missing their little "pick-me-up"! I also have a hen with a sniffle and i really think she'll benefit just a few drops of ACV. Theres also not that much available for ducks in the shops over here!
to PeanutnCashew I really wish I could find a link for you but it was in my friends duck book whick she bought on Amazon and I can't find anything else online thats why I'm asking the question to all the keepers on here!
Thanks everyone for your advice I'll try it in the next few days and if I post nothing else please assume all went well!

Back
Top Bottom