Is it just me or does this Quail forum move really really slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHorn91180

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northeast KY
OK so new to quail and this forum but have been a member of BYC for several years just looks like I'm new cause I stopped using my account for about a year and when I came back it didn't exist. B4 that I had a different user name and hundreds of post but that's another story.

Just seems like alot of post on this forum go unanswered or if anything r given a comment or two that's not helpful and left at that. Maybe I'm just used to the speed of BYC chicken forum and u have to check back in a week or two on here instead of the next day or two or maybe quail people r more reserved and not as helpful or something. Al tho there is a lot of useful info on here, if u search the threads, it makes me wonder. Does anyone know of another quail forum that's a little more up to speed as the chicken forums or maybe another site that's more dedicated to quail maybe? I will still use this one but probably just check it every few weeks or so instead of daily to catch up. Looking for one where people r more interested in talking about their birds and I can learn and find more info quicker and not get bored with after a couple weeks. I'm gonna guess if there is such a forum that maybe some of u r also members of it as well. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
pop.gif

J Horn, if you find another quail forum, please let me know. Although I have gotten a lot of useful information on here...I just would love to get more info. I have quails that are about 2 weeks old and I learn new stuff daily!!!!! Quail are a lot harder to raise than chickens, thats for sure......oh well...not giving up!!!
Thanks!!

Well I used to raise a couple species of quail several years ago and have never had an issue keeping or raising them. Too me they r pretty well as bout as easy as chickens r to keep and raise. I'm just not real familiar about the new types that were considered more rare in captivity back then and the new color mutations can b a bit confusing as some of them look alike to me and there seems to b lots of different names for the same mutation or color. I have had quail again for a while and raised some from a day old that r breeding now. I'm a little rusty on some stuff but haven't had any issues with my new quail either and haven't lost any so far. If there is anything I can help u with I will b happy to try.

Last edited:
actually compared to almost every other quail forum I've been on, this has been the most active one. I think one of the reasons why some questions go unanswered is that the same questions get asked a lot and some people get tired of explaining it day in and day out. Kinda crummy for the newbies who are only trying to learn but it does get exhausting sometimes trying to write the same stuff over and over, especially when a lot of the info is in black and white right out there on Google. Sounds harsh but you know. I love helping the new people personally, but it helps a lot when people do a bit of research first. I started raising quail when i was just 15 and I learned almost everything from a forum where the people were really helpful and patient and good to me. But then that forum changed and people got sick of helping newbies with their "dumb questions" so I left. They were only interested in taking about big-time production and had no time for the hobbyists anymore which was too bad.

Once I am done with university and actually have a life I want to add more and more stuff to my blog and maybe put together a book about the breeding/raising of quail as a hobby and try to really cover a lot of different methods and opinions, because the info that is out there can be really scattered sometimes. Quail are a soapbox of mine and everywhere i go I talk to people about their awesomeness - I've done presentations and demonstrations at primary schools, high schools, universities, 4H clubs, Fall Fairs, business fairs, famer's markets, etc etc trying to get people interested in quail and I enjoy every second of it. :) Heck it's almost 3am and I'm still on the quail forum LOL

There are other quail forums that are very active, and some of the posters that used to post here are using other, more active forums. It is against BYC rules to mention any other sites on the BYC venue, so it is difficult to pass on any info regarding alternative sites. If you search, you will find it/them.

I'm usually down in the emu section... or off talking about the turkey hatch.. or helping out in incubating... or wandering around the meat bird forum...

more likely I am off tending to the birds though

lol.. we have a lot of birds.......

I would b very interested in this site thats more active hmm so if its against the rules to post them, I sorta wonder if it was against the rules for me to ask. I would still b useing this site as well as I am very actice with my chickens and turkeys was just gonna check the quail forum a little less often. Is PMing me the sites against the rules also or is thier a rule against giving clues to help find it since u are not technially posting the name of the site on the forum? I would really like to also b a member of this more active forum also
big_smile.png

I would b very interested in this site thats more active hmm so if its against the rules to post them, I sorta wonder if it was against the rules for me to ask. I would still b useing this site as well as I am very actice with my chickens and turkeys was just gonna check the quail forum a little less often. Is PMing me the sites against the rules also or is thier a rule against giving clues to help find it since u are not technially posting the name of the site on the forum? I would really like to also b a member of this more active forum also
big_smile.png

yeah.. posting links to other forums is against the rules..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service

it's #11

@JHorn...i have a few that die daily!!! I have jumbo cotournix....I have about 50 of them. They are in one brooder with a light on them. They are 2 weeks old now. I am feeding them, watering them...I even figured out that I needed to mix their food to grind it up so they can eat.....I cant figure out why they keep dying!!! The brooder is warm...the hutch that I am using as a brooder seems large enough...i have a hanging wild baby chick food for them to nibble on...I have plenty of food for them....not sure what I am doing wrong...they just seem so fragile....Thanks for any advice...I really dont want to lose any more.

yes, many moons have passed since the great Quail wars.

when the quail patriots vanquished the quail carnies to the great quail desert order was restored, but at a cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom