Is it right to give a dog away for killing 1 chicken and injuring 2

I built a whole Pallet and hardware cloth covered run (covered with a tarp) years ago because my neighbors dogs killed chickens and my own dogs weren't trained yet but my hounds are prove hunting dog can be trained not to kill poultry.

Attachments

• WP_20220313_14_15_13_Pro.jpg
    WP_20220313_14_15_13_Pro.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2023-10-24 11.43.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 11.43.07 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
People pay me to train their dogs.

I don't think it is fair to that type of dog to expect it to behave around chickens at this point. If you had gotten it as a puppy you could have taught him. Possibly a seasoned trainer could do it without using harsh methods. Possibly.

Now that he's had the fun of going after the chickens and successfully killed them, I think it's time to let him go. Most homes do not have any livestock at all and he will be fine in one of them.

If your dog and chickens can't co-exist then you need to genuinely try to train your dog. If this fails then I would re-home the dog to somewhere it can be happy

Dogs and chickens have both been domesticated for 10,000+ years and can easily get along with one another unsupervised if one starts the process intelligently

My dogs are introduced to chickens as young puppies and they live around them 24/7, forever. As a result they see the chickens as family, not toys or food. This has worked with both hunting breeds and proper LGD. It takes no effort or training at all

If your dog and chickens can't co-exist then you need to genuinely try to train your dog. If this fails then I would re-home the dog to somewhere it can be happy

Dogs and chickens have both been domesticated for 10,000+ years and can easily get along with one another unsupervised if one starts the process intelligently

My dogs are introduced to chickens as young puppies and they live around them 24/7, forever. As a result they see the chickens as family, not toys or food. This has worked with both hunting breeds and proper LGD. It takes no effort or training at all

Yeah i understand this my dog was not raised around chickens neither of them were but Nova the one who killed them has never had proper training for the first two years of her life she was a stray and was picked up off the streets with her puppies and then my uncle in California adopted her and he only had a cat but his son kept spilling her water and being mean so he drove to Oklahoma and gave her to us and she ignored the chickens other than certain occasions and my German shepherd is loyal and won’t attack unless told so. He would raise the chicks and just watch and snuggle them. He also loved my old ducks and would sleep with them and herd them around the yard. Me and him would go in the chicken coop with the chickens and he would mother my sick hen and make sure she stayed with him. It all comes down to him being a follower but he knows he messed up and won’t leave his bed he just sits there and pouts. I will have to rehome Nova the lab because I can’t risk anything happening again. If anyone in the Pittsburgh county, OK area wants a dog she’s free to a good home.

My dog who I got 3 months after my chickens last July killed my brothers favorite hen and hurt two other hens one being one of my 3 og chickens and a friend is saying it is completely wrong and that chickens have way less value than a dog but he’s also saying that all of my pets should be treated equally.

Rehome the dog to someone that is aware it will kill.
I have a Belgian Malinois and she protects my chickens and Parrots.
She had a litter of puppies a couple years ago and I kept one of them, he started killing chickens. Once he got the taste there is no going back, I shot that POS.

My dog who I got 3 months after my chickens last July killed my brothers favorite hen and hurt two other hens one being one of my 3 og chickens and a friend is saying it is completely wrong and that chickens have way less value than a dog but he’s also saying that all of my pets should be treated equally.
Unfortunately once a dog kills or injures a chicken it will do it again. You'll either need to rehome the dog (tell the new owner about the issue) or secure your flock in a strong pen/run. My free-range flock has to be secured now, thanks to our neighbor's dog. The flock isn't happy, but they are safe.

My German shepherd mix pups killed 7 of mine over months. Ringo got three one afternoon when he got under the back fence. We fixed the fencing and the dogs, a year old now, are not allowed out front off leash. We are working with them on chasing chickens. They never drew blood, just think of them as toys to play with. Ringo got whacked over the head with the rooster he killed so hope that helped because only time he has been hit. (I was very angry) Their mom has no problem with chickens after we told her no when she met them. She was dumped and pregnant so we kept three pups. We love them and would not give them up for killing some chickens but are working toward them eventually being good with leaving them alone. I think dogs are too smart to be passed around when they are bonded to you. The mom is still anxious when I am not around since being dumped, even after over a year with us.

Back
Top Bottom