Is it right to give a dog away for killing 1 chicken and injuring 2

None of my dogs have unsupervised time with my chickens, keep your dog on a leash and under your control. I wouldn't get rid of the dog.
I agree with that. By the time my lab was 6 months, she still went after chickens, her predictor instinct is overly strong. I have worked with her for almost 3 years, and she still salivates when around the chickens, so I make sure she is not left alone. I know, it is a bit of work, but I cannot get rid of her or the chickens, so I am stuck. I am still working on it, but never leave her alone with them. When they are in the orchard, she is in her kennel. Inconvenient at times, but I love her, she is a great dog in all other ways, I still take her out to the coop when I am taking care of the chickens, and make her wait at the door. Hope this will eventually train her to leave them alone, but would not bet any money if one of them went running across the yard. Good luck with your problem, you are responsible for every animal you bring into your home.

My German shepherd mix pups killed 7 of mine over months. Ringo got three one afternoon when he got under the back fence. We fixed the fencing and the dogs, a year old now, are not allowed out front off leash. We are working with them on chasing chickens. They never drew blood, just think of them as toys to play with. Ringo got whacked over the head with the rooster he killed so hope that helped because only time he has been hit. (I was very angry) Their mom has no problem with chickens after we told her no when she met them. She was dumped and pregnant so we kept three pups. We love them and would not give them up for killing some chickens but are working toward them eventually being good with leaving them alone. I think dogs are too smart to be passed around when they are bonded to you. The mom is still anxious when I am not around since being dumped, even after over a year with us.
Yes, they bond strongly when you rescue them, it is your love that saved them, good for you to work with the pups.

This is going to sound completely horrible and I'm sorry if I upset anyone.

Many years ago we had a large cross breed Saint Bernard. One day he decided to play with one of my chickens . Since he was so big his playing caused the death of the poor chicken. I was furious, I tied Tippy to a tree so he couldn't move an inch. Then I beat him with the dead chicken. After I released Tippy I tied the dead chicken tightly around his neck. The chicken remained there until it fell apart. Tippy never went near the chickens again.

Many years ago we had a large cross breed Saint Bernard. One day he decided to play with one of my chickens . Since he was so big his playing caused the death of the poor chicken. I was furious, I tied Tippy to a tree so he couldn't move an inch. Then I beat him with the dead chicken. After I released Tippy I tied the dead chicken tightly around his neck. The chicken remained there until it fell apart. Tippy never went near the chickens again.
You’re right. This does sound completely horrible.

I keep big breeds of chickens and they would choke her to death because they weigh like ten pounds

My dog who I got 3 months after my chickens last July killed my brothers favorite hen and hurt two other hens one being one of my 3 og chickens and a friend is saying it is completely wrong and that chickens have way less value than a dog but he’s also saying that all of my pets should be treated equally.
I did. I had a very expensive Basenji that was given to me by my employer when I had to leave. She was hell bent at getting the chickens. She killed a couple. I gave her to a friend, who started raising the breed with the female I gave them. I got the pick of the litter later. We got another and he was wonderful. If you can separate them so the dog has no access, great. I have a dog now that kills anything that comes in his yard. He is not allowed out of the fenced yard. My neighbors have all kinds of animals, I would hate for him to go do damage.

I put a fence around my chicken coop and run so my dogs could alert me to predators if they were outside.My Basset would run out there every chance he got and those chickens didn't make a peep that he didn't run out there.He used to tremble when I first got the chickens but as time went on he was desensitized and I was able to train him.Because my coop and run were predator proof he couldn't dig under it or kill any of them.

My dog who I got 3 months after my chickens last July killed my brothers favorite hen and hurt two other hens one being one of my 3 og chickens and a friend is saying it is completely wrong and that chickens have way less value than a dog but he’s also saying that all of my pets should be treated equally.
It is wrong. Why? Because you failed to train the animal correctly and now you presumably or someone else is getting rid of it because of being a bad owner. This is why not everyone should own animals because something like this happens and yes it is preventable stop being lazy people train your dogs

Back
Top Bottom