Is it too hot outside for my ducks?

soccrkep1

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
I have 4 one-month-old ducklings who I moved outside yesterday all day (in at night), and am moving outside permanently today. They are a white layer, 2 buffs, and 1 WH. They are getting some feathers. They are currently laying under the tree in complete shade, right next to their water, and they are panting. It's maybe 90 outside right now, with a high today of 95. I brought them frozen peas awhile ago, but I'm going back to work on Tuesday and they will be completely on their own then, no one to bring them frozen treats. Are they ok? I know panting is a sign that ducklings are too hot under a heat lamp, but what am I supposed to do? And yes, they do have a kiddie pool, they are just choosing not to get in it.

They are a month old . . . is it possible to keep them inside where it is cooler till the weather cools down? Actually, at one month, I would not want them with access to a pool because I don't think they are fully feathered and could drown, depending on the setup.

The smell is too strong, even with changing the entire bedding every other day, to keep them inside any longer. They can easily get in and out of the pool without a problem, so drowning shouldn't be an issue. How old are y'alls ducks when you typically move them outside? I live in Texas, it's hot, like really hot, in the summer. It's just what we deal with here. I thought the worry with ducklings was that they might get too cold if not under a heat lamp, but that's not an issue where I live, but I wasn't thinking they'd overheat. They made it through the day all right, I just worry about them when I go back to work Tuesday.

I don't know if what I did was right but it worked for us. I'm on TX as well and at 3 weeks I started letting mine out in an enclosed pen with a pool that they could climb in and out of. I supervised them first for about 5 days and progressively left them out longer with less supervision. The area was right up against out back patio under the awning. At 4+ weeks they were spending all day outside and started to nap in the water. I know people say they get water logged but in this heat it's the only way to really cool off. They are 5+ weeks and roam my yard when the dogs are up and practically live in their pool. They do spend plenty of time out but when it gets really hot they are in the pool. I've noticed the last 2 days they are been napping on the grass but I think that might be because it has finally dropped below 100* now.

Last edited:
I live in Texas as well and I have almost 20 ducks, they live outside. All day all night since April of last year and I've never lost one to the heat, but them again I live on a 15 mile long lake that they roam all day if they please. But I probably wouldn't be too worried if they have shade and water.

Can anyone post their set up please? Quackers is about 5 or so weeks old. I want to put her outside to, but fear it's to hot. We're in Houston. When I take her outside when it's in the 90's she'll stay by the door & chirp till I let her in lol. I try to take her outside at least once every couple of days. Depending on the temperature, depends how long she'll stay outside for. Oh, & she doesn't like swimming lol. She won't even get into a shallow dish with her favourite, mealworms. She'll just circle around the dish till they're all gone lol.

Last edited:
This is my setup till it cools off and I can build something permanent. They can reach the bottom and stand up and can jump out without the rocks and have ever since they have been using the pool. I'm new to ducks and I could be doing everything all wrong but it has been working really well for us. I'm just glad it is under 100 degrees today!

Love the flat rock, they don't get to slippery? What do you do when it rains? I'm new to ducks as well. :) Trying to figure out what kind of set up would be best that could be moved easily so the grass can be mowed when need be.

I start mine outside from day 1. They get the big kid pool after a couple of weeks, but supervised. Once they are able to get in and out on their own reliably (with bricks and what not to help if needed), I leave them with the pool on the deck for a while and check on them periodically. But they spend a lot of time penned up in the yard with food, water dish and shade. I just move the brooder to the yard in the grass.

First round which was penned on the deck, had access to the kiddie pool around 4-6 weeks as they were champs getting in and out with no problems. I also didn't fill it so high that they couldn't touch something - be it some bricks/patio stones in the center or the ones to get out of the pool.

Back
Top Bottom