Is it too hot outside for my ducks?

Love the flat rock, they don't get to slippery? What do you do when it rains? I'm new to ducks as well. :) Trying to figure out what kind of set up would be best that could be moved easily so the grass can be mowed when need be.

They haven't been too slippery. Ducks do have claws to grab onto and they have been super easy to make "stairs" with. As for mosquitoes do you mean being a problem with the pool? As long as you keep the water relatively clean they aren't a problem. Mosquitoes need standing water and don't generally like fresh. The ducks eat them too. As for rain... It hasn't rained yet. I do have the tarp over part of the pen for shade and if it does rain they have a dry place, they have lots of shelter when free ranging and have access to their actual house.

Last edited:
They haven't been too slippery. Ducks do have claws to grab onto and they have been super easy to make "stairs" with. As for mosquitoes do you mean being a problem with the pool? As long as you keep the water relatively clean they aren't a problem. Mosquitoes need standing water and don't generally like fresh. The ducks eat them too. As for rain... It hasn't rained yet. I do have the tarp over part of the pen for shade and if it does rain they have a dry place, they have lots of shelter when free ranging and have access to their actual house.

Gotcha, yes I did mean mosquitoes concerning the pool. Over here it's rained a few times. Houston weather is so unpredictable. Sunny one minute, then the next gloomy, thunder, rain then back to sunny. All within a hour lol. What kind of pen/house were you thinking of making? Something similar to what you already have set up, or something with an enclosure so they can go into when it's cold/ raining?

They have a house already and have access when they free range the yard but usually just hang out on the coveted patio. I would like to do a run attached to their house in the next month. It's under trees so is somewhat protected but I may cover some of it so parts stay dry too.

Love the flat rock, they don't get to slippery? What do you do when it rains? I'm new to ducks as well.
smile.png
Trying to figure out what kind of set up would be best that could be moved easily so the grass can be mowed when need be.

My ducks are 5 months and have been outside since they were about 2 months (I'm in Ohio so we had to wait for it to warm up) but as far as the rain goes, my girls LOVE the rain. We refer to it as "duck party time!" The rain also aids in their fabulous mud making skills. Quite often they will end up with totally black bellies and faces, it's quite funny.

My ducks are 5 months and have been outside since they were about 2 months (I'm in Ohio so we had to wait for it to warm up) but as far as the rain goes, my girls LOVE the rain. We refer to it as "duck party time!" The rain also aids in their fabulous mud making skills. Quite often they will end up with totally black bellies and faces, it's quite funny.

Mud party time lol. I hope Quackers will soon like water. :\ She doesn't like to get wet for some reason lol. She won't swim, & runs away when I point the water hose up & she gets wet. She is one odd duck lol.

I have 4 one-month-old ducklings who I moved outside yesterday all day (in at night), and am moving outside permanently today. They are a white layer, 2 buffs, and 1 WH. They are getting some feathers. They are currently laying under the tree in complete shade, right next to their water, and they are panting. It's maybe 90 outside right now, with a high today of 95. I brought them frozen peas awhile ago, but I'm going back to work on Tuesday and they will be completely on their own then, no one to bring them frozen treats. Are they ok? I know panting is a sign that ducklings are too hot under a heat lamp, but what am I supposed to do? And yes, they do have a kiddie pool, they are just choosing not to get in it.

Attachments

• 4082354A-D532-4EA5-83CB-282CD687938C.jpeg
    4082354A-D532-4EA5-83CB-282CD687938C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • A06BE429-CE33-4BFE-84E2-0D7722918D1C.jpeg
    A06BE429-CE33-4BFE-84E2-0D7722918D1C.jpeg
    834.5 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom