Is my RIR broody?

lisaleesa546

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2016
i have a flock of 5 chickens, all a year old. Today I noticed one my RIR was in the nest box for a while (I've been keeping a very close eye on my chickens as I lost one about a month ago,natural causes it turns out). I checked on her a few times today, she seemed fine and healthy but every time I opened the nest box door she puffed up and squawked at me. This is the first day I've noticed her in the nest for a long time. She's been in there for about 7 hours now. All other hens have gone to roost for the night and she is still on the nest (has about 5 unfertile eggs under her now).

I'm not against giving her some eggs to raise. But I'm wondering...is she broody? I know RIR (production) are not known for being very broody. What are the chances she'll stay broody and successfully hatch some chickens. I don't want to buy fertile eggs only to have her give up half way thru (although I know it's possible-but I wonder how often it happens).

i have a flock of 5 chickens, all a year old. Today I noticed one my RIR was in the nest box for a while (I've been keeping a very close eye on my chickens as I lost one about a month ago,natural causes it turns out). I checked on her a few times today, she seemed fine and healthy but every time I opened the nest box door she puffed up and squawked at me. This is the first day I've noticed her in the nest for a long time. She's been in there for about 7 hours now. All other hens have gone to roost for the night and she is still on the nest (has about 5 unfertile eggs under her now).

I'm not against giving her some eggs to raise. But I'm wondering...is she broody? I know RIR (production) are not known for being very broody. What are the chances she'll stay broody and successfully hatch some chickens. I don't want to buy fertile eggs only to have her give up half way thru (although I know it's possible-but I wonder how often it happens).
She is broody! How long she will stay broody is another question? If I were you and You want her to set----I would mark the 5 eggs clearly----and remove any new added eggs daily---let her keep these 5---line the other fertile eggs up and give her a few days---if she is staying in a few days---I would set her. Good Luck.

Hello,

Do you have a picture?
She probably is broody, I am sorry I can't answer what the percentage of their broody life...

But if she acts like that tomorrow, chances are you have a broody hen. I would slip eggs under her in 2 or 3 days to be sure she is broody. Some hens get sidetracked after a day... That means their not ready for being a mother.

If she gets up once and goes back she's broody. If she gets up and flies half an inch of the ground, followed by a squawk, then yes. You will have a broody hen. I wish you the best of luck whatever idea you come up with, and have a good night!

-The Angry Hen

If she stays on nest for 23/7 for 3 days running then you can assume she is broody. Yes 23/7...she'll get up to eatdrinkpoopdustbathe then go back to nest.

Then....
You'll need to decide if you want her to hatch out some chicks, and how you will 'manage' it.
Do you have, or can you get, some fertile eggs?
Do you have the space needed? She may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock.
Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?
If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.
It a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

If you don't want her to hatch out chicks, best to break her broodiness promptly.
My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day(you don't have to) and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.
Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
Broody Breaker Beulah 5-14-15.JPG

Back
Top Bottom