Is there something wrong with my baby?

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2016
Ohio
Help! Is there something wrong with my baby Drew? (BA) She doesn't seem to be growing a whole lot, she will be a week old on Wed. I've noticed that she has been hanging out by herself when sleeping too. Everyone will go to eat and she stays in the sleeping brooder all by herself. It dawned on me that maybe she isn't going to drink or anything so I put some water in a lid and fed her outta my hand, she did take some drinks of it. She doesn't seem to want to touch the nipple waterer, every time I put her beak to it she's just like "blah". She definitely doesn't stay awake as long as the others too.
Then I noticed when I had her in my hands trying to get her to drink out of the lid not long ago she was opening her beak & closing it. I tried to capture it on video but was having a hard time with lighting & focus.
Any suggestions? I'm so worried about this little girl.

0.jpg

Our chickens did that when it was too hot, what temp do you have it at? also how many weeks total is she? Are the other chicks messing with her at all?

I forgot to add that nobody seems to be being mean to her, no more picking than the usual peck. She does seem to try and snuggle with them though, tries to get under them sometimes. And they're so much bigger they just knock her all around.

See how she just plops all alone?

Our chickens did that when it was too hot, what temp do you have it at? also how many weeks total is she? Are the other chicks messing with her at all?

I am uncertain of the actual temp, I have just been letting the chicks "tell" me if it is too hot or too cold. I have a single 75 watt clear bulb running in there with 8 of them. She does tend to want to be under the light though. Is she too cold? (I'm a first time chick mom)

No, nobody seems to be messing with her. Well, that would be out of the ordinary. The usual pick here & there on one another is all I have noticed.

okay, try to hang out with her as much as possiable, i know it might sound weird... but, the attention is comforting. be around the light but not too close. keep her warm! just not boiling a chicken... whats her name?

Notice how she stays stiff too? She never really just relaxes. The others will give a initial fight when getting picked up but then relax when I talk to them & pet them, she just stays stiff. Almost leg locked if you will.

okay, try to hang out with her as much as possiable, i know it might sound weird... but, the attention is comforting. be around the light but not too close. keep her warm! just not boiling a chicken... whats her name?

Lol I am, they can't keep me outta there! I'm loving snuggling these gals. Her name is Drew, as in Barrymore...
love.gif

chickens often ¨pant¨ like dogs if their too hot. make sure she doesnt cool off to quick... just like people when you go in and out of heat you dont feel good.. make sure shes at a consistant temp.

chickens often ¨pant¨ like dogs if their too hot. make sure she doesnt cool off to quick... just like people when you go in and out of heat you dont feel good.. make sure shes at a consistant temp.

If she was too hot would she stay under the lamp though? What you're saying does make sense, but leaves me with my question.

well in that case your doing great! chickens become more social when you hang around them and name them. are they your pets or do you eat them?

Back
Top Bottom