Is this a good option/brand for BOSS for the backyard flock of hens?

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Is this ok for my hens? BOSS is a part of my chickens lives here. Are there any considerations while purchasing BOSS? Is this ok? Thanks 🐓❤️
IMG_7383.jpeg

Is this ok for my hens? BOSS is a part of my chickens lives here. Are there any considerations to consider while purchasing BOSS? Is this ok? Thanks 🐓❤️
View attachment 3772512
Protein varies some between about 14-16% depending on brand (that I've seen and can recall, not as high as some posters might believe). Fat content is ALWAYS very high.. (*possibly* making it a better choice than scratch to help a bird maintain body condition which folks like to call keeping warm during the short days for feeding and long cold nights of winter).

Wagner's is a common brand I've seen.. To me one brand is no better than the other.. but "US made" (if you can believe that term at all on any label) is ALWAYS a bonus with regards to supporting our countries GDP..

I too, mix boss with cracked corn and mealworms to toss as a treat on a random (not every day,) basis especially in winter. I use scratch/treat in a shaker can as a way to get them back to the coop if need be. Years ago, I tried to make my own feed like that You Tube lady recommends and it had way to much boss in it, IMO. It was a super fail, I've completely changed my mind on that idea.

thank you for all of your input. :highfive: We are truckin' along through winter now. I mix the BOSS with Scratch & Peck 3- Scratch grains. Sprouting wheat grass and Hard Red Winter berries are a tremendous hit too. Their feathers have never been so shiny. I wasnt sure about the BOSS purchasing considerations. Everything everyone has said makes sense and thats what I gather.
😚

Protein varies some between about 14-16% depending on brand (that I've seen and can recall, not as high as some posters might believe). Fat content is ALWAYS very high.. (*possibly* making it a better choice than scratch to help a bird maintain body condition which folks like to call keeping warm during the short days for feeding and long cold nights of winter).

Wagner's is a common brand I've seen.. To me one brand is no better than the other.. but "US made" (if you can believe that term at all on any label) is ALWAYS a bonus with regards to supporting our countries GDP..
Roger that. :highfive:

Their feathers have never been so shiny.
One trick people that show chickens sometimes use to get shiny feathers is to dribble a little oil on their food, usually some kind of vegetable oil. It doesn't take much oil to really shine up the feathers. Along with many other good nutrients sunflower seeds contain a lot of oil. You don't want to overdo it but a few seeds a day can make the feathers look shiny.

We go through a 40# bag of BOSS every two weeks for the wild bird feeders. I've purchased every brand that either Walmart or TSC carries, and even from a farmer in the area. The chickens free range so clean up what falls underneath the feeders.

The cheapest I found lately was at TSC beating out Wagner by $10 per #40 so we're getting them from there for now.

They are high in Vit. E and Selenium, so a natural source for keeping vitamin deficiencies/wry neck away.

Back
Top Bottom