Is this a respiratory illness or something else?

If you were using layer feed they wouldn't need the oyster shell normally. Unless you just happen to have some that need more calcium than others.
They should not really need grit either as long as they have access to ground to Noodle and dig in they will find their own.
I will occasionally throw some grit out for mine in the winter when the ground is Frozen and I give them treats to eat like cut up veggies and meal worms.
If they're just getting commercial feed though they shouldn't even need the grit.
Since I am not going to give them layer anymore unless I need too, should I provide oyster shells for when they are laying? I want them to be on all flock now seeing as it helps Angel walk better and I feel that the whole flock is a lot better looking too.
I cleaned all the wood shavings out of the coop today they were all a little a damp probably because it is warm out right now. Last I checked it was 41 degrees outside. All the chickens and ducks are foraging and stuff. And there is also a ton of the darn sparrows and other song birds I really don't like them because they poop where the chickens and ducks hang out all the time. I am going to drill some holes on the highest part of the coop for more ventilation today.

Since I am not going to give them layer anymore unless I need too, should I provide oyster shells for when they are laying? I want them to be on all flock now seeing as it helps Angel walk better and I feel that the whole flock is a lot better looking too.
I cleaned all the wood shavings out of the coop today they were all a little a damp probably because it is warm out right now. Last I checked it was 41 degrees outside. All the chickens and ducks are foraging and stuff. And there is also a ton of the darn sparrows and other song birds I really don't like them because they poop where the chickens and ducks hang out all the time. I am going to drill some holes on the highest part of the coop for more ventilation today.
Yes, I would keep oyster shell out if I were you. They will pretty much eat as much as they need. You'll see the Drakes noodling around in it once in awhile just seeing what the big deal is but they're usually not eating much if any.

Yes, I would keep oyster shell out if I were you. They will pretty much eat as much as they need. You'll see the Drakes noodling around in it once in awhile just seeing what the big deal is but they're usually not eating much if any.
Okay, thank you.
One of the ducks laid an egg earlier today I believe it was Totoro she is our 7 maybe 8 year old cayuga. (I don't know how old they are anymore no one ever kept track of how old the chickens and ducks are, that are older then 3 years). I can only estimate how old they are even though we raised almost all of them as chicks and ducklings.
20220313_114641_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20220313_114641_HDR.jpg
    20220313_114641_HDR.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220313_114641_HDR.jpg
    20220313_114641_HDR.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 3
We cant drill the holes today because we don't have the drill at home right now, I am hoping tomorrow we can drill the holes if not then probably after tomorrow.
Just a bit ago I put some vetrx on Kiki's waddles, beak, comb and chest, under her wings I am hoping that helps her breath a little better. She has been breathing through her mouth a lot more but still is breathing trough her nose from what I can tell.
She still eats, drinks and was foraging today, she just has a hard time breathing I am hoping the vetrx helps her breath better even just a little. I hate seeing her be uncomfortable.

I think Angelina is the one laying the eggs there was another one today in the same exact spot as the last. The weather is supposed to be warm and like no snow for this week and the next from what I heard last. So I am sure all the others will start laying again.
20220314_101254.jpg

And there doesn't seem to be much change with the chickens breathing they all kind of seem congested? Something like that, and Kiki doesn't seem like she is breathing much better then before I put the vetrx on her this last time. Maybe I should put it on her again tonight?

It has been warm outside this week and the chickens don't seem to be having issues anymore. I haven't been able to drill the holes. But I have been making sure that the lower ventilation is staying clear and airing the coop out whenever I can. I am also making sure I take out damp bedding and put fresh bedding in.
One of my older hens is having issues right now. Here is the link to the thread for Broken toe https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...feathers-below-her-vent.1515892/post-25509610

I haven't been able to add extra ventilation to the coop yet but plan on doing it tomorrow.
The chickens are still breathing the same as before. Most of them seem to breathe just fine but there is two of them that seem to have the worst of it, Kiki is breathing through her mouth a little bit. None of them seem to have any drainage from their eyes or noses, they all have been eating and drinking and acting like normal chickens. I have been making sure I change the shavings or at least clean out most the poop most everyday as well as letting the bigger door be open as long as possible on nice days that aren't windy or snowy, the whole week has been okay for the most part so I have been able to let the coop get a lot of airflow during the day.
Recently one of my older hens passed away, due to a reproductive issue. I got strong animals chicken elixir to try helping her get better.
20220405_193335.jpg

anyways I was wondering if this would be good to try using for all the chickens, I also don't know if it is safe for ducks, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe for ducks. I looked at the reviews for it and it I think it is okay to use for the chickens, I just don't exactly know if it would be okay for ducks I also don't know if it would even help the chickens very much. Have any of you ever used this stuff before? I have only ever seen one thread on BYC so far about someone using this stuff.
20220405_193400.jpg

I want to help them get better as soon as possible just don't really know how or what will work. I am going to put some ACV in their water tomorrow I wanted to do it today but did not as it was really windy today, with the highest gusts today being 67mph and the wind speeds all through out today we're like 40 to 30mph.

Attachments

• 20220405_193346.jpg
    20220405_193346.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220405_193352.jpg
    20220405_193352.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom