Is this a stress poop or something worse?

kcocat

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Marin county, California
Hi,
This is from our "scaredy-cat" chicken, lowest on the pecking order. We added a new free range area for them & all the girls & our silkie rooster were out but her. We had to chase her around trying to get her (pick her up or get her to go out the door, whichever happened first) finally she went out the door paused let go this poop, then slowly went out into the new free range area & to the other chickens. I'm thinking this is just a stress poo, no one in the flock has any abnormal symptoms or anything & I didn't see anything online that fits quite right Before I just chalk it up to stress & I thought I ought to get a few other opinions in case I'm missing something.

Attachments

• 20190330_100233.jpg
    20190330_100233.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 55
Hi,
This is from our "scaredy-cat" chicken, lowest on the pecking order. We added a new free range area for them & all the girls & our silkie rooster were out but her. We had to chase her around trying to get her (pick her up or get her to go out the door, whichever happened first) finally she went out the door paused let go this poop, then slowly went out into the new free range area & to the other chickens. I'm thinking this is just a stress poo, no one in the flock has any abnormal symptoms or anything & I didn't see anything online that fits quite right Before I just chalk it up to stress & I thought I ought to get a few other opinions in case I'm missing something.
If it's a one time thing, then I would put it down to stress.

Why chase her around? Let her come out on her own when she is ready and join the others. Chasing chickens is a sure way to create stress.

Because she was crying inside alone, running back and forth looking at all the others outside & not able to figure out how to get out there. She's our "different" chicken, always the slowest to figure things out, scared of everything. She's even scared of the nest boxes & so lays her eggs in the corner on the ground. No one picks on her, luckily our flock gets along well, she's just always been a nervous nelly from the get go. She's a cochin, our only one - not sure if they tend to be more nervous or if it's just her... .
If it's a one time thing, then I would put it down to stress.

Why chase her around? Let her come out on her own when she is ready and join the others. Chasing chickens is a sure way to create stress.

Because she was crying inside alone, running back and forth looking at all the others outside & not able to figure out how to get out there. She's our "different" chicken, always the slowest to figure things out, scared of everything. She's even scared of the nest boxes & so lays her eggs in the corner on the ground. No one picks on her, luckily our flock gets along well, she's just always been a nervous nelly from the get go. She's a cochin, our only one - not sure if they tend to be more nervous or if it's just her... .
Poor thing!
Can she see well? Does she have any odd shaped eyes or pupils?

She seems to see fine. We got her, a brama & a black astrolorp from a different place than the rest of our chickens & both her & the brahma were scaredy cats & lowest in the pecking order when they integrated with our other pullets at that time. The astrolorp bonded right away with our black jersey giant ... Seriously, they're absolutely besties & are always together, so she did fine. The Brahma slowly braved up & she's now middle of the pack and often more bold, but Roxy, the cochin, just stayed scared of everything. I think they were picked on alot at the farm we got them from, as both the cochin & brama had bald spots above their tail areas. I guess the cochin just never got over her traumatic childhood on the other farm :barnie

She seems to see fine. We got her, a brama & a black astrolorp from a different place than the rest of our chickens & both her & the brahma were scaredy cats & lowest in the pecking order when they integrated with our other pullets at that time. The astrolorp bonded right away with our black jersey giant ... Seriously, they're absolutely besties & are always together, so she did fine. The Brahma slowly braved up & she's now middle of the pack and often more bold, but Roxy, the cochin, just stayed scared of everything. I think they were picked on alot at the farm we got them from, as both the cochin & brama had bald spots above their tail areas. I guess the cochin just never got over her traumatic childhood on the other farm :barnie
Some can just a be a little spazzy, so they may be just the way she is.
Chickens aren't always the brightest either.

Back
Top Bottom