Is this gapeworm or a respiratory infection?

The above is the important information.
Gape worm, possible but pretty rare so worming her is unlikely to improve the crop problem.
Have you seen her poop?
Can you take a good clear picture of it in natural light and post it here.
It is possible that a malfunctioning crop could cause your hen to gasp. There may be a partial blockage allowing liquid through, hence the runny poop.
I would concentrate on the crop problem before giving any worming drugs.
She did have extremely runny poop for the first two days. But now it's solid, looks normal. This morning however, she is still gasping, but she was shaking her head some when I went to check in her and some liquid was flinging out as she was shaking her head. I've read and other places to give her some vetRx, would you suggest I give her some? I do have it. If so, how much do I give her, and how?

Have you checked her neck for an obstriction that could be putting pressure on her trachea? And have you check the inside of her mouth to see if he entrance to her trachea is clear?

The hole at the back of the tongue is the entrance to the trachea and should look like this.
pea_2.jpg

Safeguard dewormer for goats (liquid)
No I would not continue to give her worm medicine.
5 days worth is plenty.

Also regarding the vetrx... I do not believe that stuff is worth anything.
I like to think of it as the poultry Vicks VapoRub.

Have you checked her neck for an obstriction that could be putting pressure on her trachea? And have you check the inside of her mouth to see if he entrance to her trachea is clear?

The hole at the back of the tongue is the entrance to the trachea and should look like this.
View attachment 2002999
I have tried... I'm having a hard time opening her mouth to look inside. But I will try again, hopefully I can get a good look inside.

She did have extremely runny poop for the first two days. But now it's solid, looks normal. This morning however, she is still gasping, but she was shaking her head some when I went to check in her and some liquid was flinging out as she was shaking her head. I've read and other places to give her some vetRx, would you suggest I give her some? I do have it. If so, how much do I give her, and how?
No to the vetRX.
No to any more worming medication.
Yes to casportpony's advice to check in side her mouth.
It may not be possible for you, but I would take her to an avian vet.
Failing that I still suspect a problem with her crop. Water should not be flying out when she shakes her head.
Solid poop is a start but with a partial blockage (have a look on the Internet at necropsy pictures that show a crop opened up and the sorts of stuff that can get stuck in it) it is possible she can pass a certain amount down to her gizzard but not fully empty her crop.
I would check her crop before she goes to roost and then again in the morning.
Depending on feed loading, the age and metabolic rate of the hen and the crop function, the crop may not completely empty but it should be considerably smaller.
In the morning, while the crop is at it's least full, you can have a feel for anything that feels like a large lump or a clump of straw for example. You can gently squeeze the crop in all directions.

The above is the important information.
Gape worm, possible but pretty rare so worming her is unlikely to improve the crop problem.
Have you seen her poop?
Can you take a good clear picture of it in natural light and post it here.
It is possible that a malfunctioning crop could cause your hen to gasp. There may be a partial blockage allowing liquid through, hence the runny poop.
I would concentrate on the crop problem before giving any worming drugs.
Her poop I'd pretty solid now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_131538.jpg
    IMG_20200115_131538.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom