Is this gapeworm or a respiratory infection?

Wisegirl99

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2018
Please help! My hen is gasping for air. It feels like her crop is full of fluid, possibly a mixture of fluid and air. Because I massaged it, and it seemed like some air deflated and came out of her mouth. She stretches her neck and gasps for every breath. She has runny poop. No coughing, or runny nose, and she shakes her head once in a while. Please let me know how I can treat this.

How long has she been like this?
Can you upload a video of her to Youtube?

Do not massage her anymore right now.

How old is she?

Sorry about your hen with respiratory distress. Gapeworm is fairly rare, while respiratory diseases are much more common. There are viruses and several bacterial and fungal diseases that are common. What part of the world are you in? Is she able to eat and drink anything now? Can you get another pair of hands and look inside her throat with a light for any gunk, yellow patches, canker, or anything unusual? A vet is a food option if you have one familiar with chickens.

If you can get SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) at your feed store you can treat for gapeworms and other worms with 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days.

Look for any nasal drainage, small bubbles in an eye or swelling around an eye, crackles or wheezing during breathing. There is not a lot that can be done for the gasping except to make sure she has good air circulation. Keep her warm and encourage her to drink plenty of water, and eat watery feed.

Sorry about your hen with respiratory distress. Gapeworm is fairly rare, while respiratory diseases are much more common. There are viruses and several bacterial and fungal diseases that are common. What part of the world are you in? Is she able to eat and drink anything now? Can you get another pair of hands and look inside her throat with a light for any gunk, yellow patches, canker, or anything unusual? A vet is a food option if you have one familiar with chickens.

If you can get SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) at your feed store you can treat for gapeworms and other worms with 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 consecutive days.

Look for any nasal drainage, small bubbles in an eye or swelling around an eye, crackles or wheezing during breathing. There is not a lot that can be done for the gasping except to make sure she has good air circulation. Keep her warm and encourage her to drink plenty of water, and eat watery feed.
thanks for the reply! for the SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, do I give it to her straight (1/4 ml per pound given orally) or add to water or feed?

Back
Top Bottom